Chapter 8

Girl on top is Alex
~~~~~~~
( Alexandra's POV )
So this was freedom? I ran next to Margo and Jessie. Jessie and Margo were both in their wolf forms, but I was easily keeping pace with them. We were running so fast it felt like I was flying. I had been here for three months and for the first time in my life I was happy. We ran for what felt like hours and hours, and by the end of it, Michael and Daniel were with us. Micheal's strong white wolf never failed to take my breath away. 

When we finally stopped to rest and get water, I was suddenly pulled into a trance. It was like the rest of the world disappeared. 

A burning sensation started at my tail bone. The pain wasn't so bad at first. It was subtle at first.  but it gradually began to burn with more intensity.  And then it was so unbearable I fell immediately to the ground and almost fainted. But I stayed just at the edge of consciousness. I thought I'd be able to slip away and let the pain take me, but I felt everything.  I distantly heard someone come over to my side. "Alex?" A voice questioned. I writhed on the ground in pain. So this was the beginning of the change. 

"Alex!" It was from Jessie. I thought of all the pain I had gone through my whole life. All of the beatings, the lashings, all of the emotional and physical abuse. I realized that nothing was as painful as this. I was changing. My pack didn't want me to be like them. I relished the pain even though it was awful. I let it take me, and I reveled in the fact that if I could survive all of that pain then I could survive this too. Even if I didn't have my friends by my side. 

"Shhh it's okay, it almost over," soothed Micheal. He and I had grown close over the last few months. 

Slowly the pain traveled up my spine and into my arms and legs. That's when things started to snap and pop out of place. Each bone rearranging and popping into a new place. but then the pain reached my neck and my skull. This was the worst part. My snout was elongating, but it felt like my brain was being compressed and squeezed. the pressure behind my eyes was unbearable and stars danced across my vision. Then the pain was gone. Gone as fast as it had come. I opened my eyes and everything came into clear focus. 

I heard what sounded like gasps but I couldn't be sure. I stood up and looked down I realized that I had phased for the first time. 

"Alex, do you know how to phase back?" Daniel asked slowly as if a sudden move might set me off. The look in his eyes scared me down to my bones. He looked pale and scared. I didn't want anyone to be scared of me. With a small whimper, I ran away from them. I wanted to get away from that look. How bad was it? Were all of my scars out in the open now? Was I horribly disfigured? Did they think I wouldn't be able to turn back? Fear suddenly sliced through me. What if I couldn't turn back? I had heard of some wolves being so scarred from their past that they simply remained in their wolf forms forever. 

"Alex!" Michael said through the pack link. I looked around frantically. I didn't want him to find me, so I continued to run. Thinking back on it, I should have taken the time to appreciate the feeling of the earth beneath my paws. I should have paid attention to all of the sounds and smells that surrounded me. I should have taken a moment to stop and feel the wind in my fur. But Micheal was on my tail and I didn't want to face the fears that were slowly eating me alive. But I should have known that it wouldn't take him long to catch up to me. He cut me off so suddenly, that it caused me to run into him and we both tumbled to the ground, with him on top of me. I looked into his eyes and I swear I lost my breath for a moment. When he finally took a moment to really look at me, he got off of me and bowed down. 

"Ummm... Whatcha doin'?" Confusion coating my voice. He looked up at me shocked. Almost as if I hadn't known the dirty little secret.