㆒blast from the past¹²

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼○•∙chapter twelve ☪︎

❛blast from the past.❜

Val could hardly bring herself to tell Maryse what happened. Her body went still under the thick wool blanket Maryse buried her under. Her legs were pulled close into her chest while her head rested against Mayrse's shoulder. The mother figure stroked her hair behind her ear and slightly rocked the girl just like she was a child. Her eyes dripped with the poison of the memories and her tears had long dried, making her feel like the rest of her emotion flowed out with them, leaving her utterly empty.

It pained Val to admit the experience of the night but she knew that she had to. The most gut-wrenching part was seeing Maryse's expression drop when she revealed that she was over the edge, even if it was for a moment.

Something that made Val and Maryse work as such a functional duo was that they gave each other their due privacy. Maybe it was a witch thing or maybe it was their fair share of trauma, but they had an unspoken language between them. They shared and took the burden of each other's pain without having to pray and it was a beautiful thing. All Val needed at the moment was comfort, the feeling of knowing that someone cared, the touch of another that confirmed that she actually was alive and real.

All her tears had been sucked out of her body by that point. Talking about it again would make her crumble, which Maryse must've understood. All she did was hold her tight. The young witch had so many questions that plagued her, forcing her to replay the wretched night over and over, picking apart their words like it was surgery. She knew that it would kill her a bit more every time that she thought about it but she no longer cared. She had felt numb, just like she had when the cold had stopped stinging last night. It had started to sink in that the experience was real but now all she craved was an explanation.

"I know you don't want me to talk," May mumbled into her ear. The vibration of her voice against her chest made Val feel slightly more alive. "But I had an idea. I know it's going to hurt but," Val felt her tighten her grip, "it will get you the answers you deserve."

Val sniffled her nose. "What is it?" She tugged on the fabric on Mayrses shirt like a infant to meet eyes with her. "Tell me."

Maryse combed through the girl's hair. "A seance," she said with severity she never used.

Val's body stiffened. The back of her throat ached. "What?" She made out, swallowing thickly.

Maryse tsked her lips and looked away for a second. "I know. It's going to be difficult and we've never considered it before-"

Val readjusted and broke free of the women's grasp. Her eyes gaped open, a thin film of liquid laying over them. She interrupted impatiently, "How do we do it?"