㆒prologue¹

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼○•∙chapter one ☪︎

❛prologue.❜

        Valerian clutched the material of her plain white dress to release her nerves. The loose-fitting material forced her to feel bare in front of her sisters. Her brown hair was plaited in a simple braid, draped over her shoulder. She was told that the goal was to be as pure as possible prior to the ritual. The rest of the Chosen wore the same clothes and they sat in a half crescent in front of the Supreme. The monotone voice of the covens Supreme drones on in a smooth, sly tone, one that understood its authority and spoke with it.

        The silence from the group was married with a faint humming in Val's ears. The rest of the coven stood around them like a fortress on the outskirts of the crescent. Her cold, slender fingers pressed into the dry earth as the Supreme strolled closer to the girls, authority seeping into the ground with every step she took. Val felt a rise deep in her gut; a flurry of anticipation and anxiety

        "Today, we gather to perform the Harvest, a ritual we take once every 250 years." Her watchful, experienced eyes scanned over the sea of girls with wide eyes. "It is an honor," she said with greater conviction, "to be one of the Chosen."

        Valerian glanced over at the others as electricity surged through her delicate body. The Supreme was right, it was an honor, or at least that was what the coven preached. The Harvest was the greatest tradition in their coven, and to be chosen was to have your legacy sealed in the most revered coven's history forever.

        The corners of her lips tugged into an innocent smile which she shared with the other Chosen. Val had been told by her friends and family that she was exceptionally lucky to be Chosen, and that her service would be revered eternally.

        "It is not to be taken lightly." The Supreme brought her glance up to gaze at the rest of the coven. She moved with a sort of flow that made all her movements glide together, similar to a snake. The hilt of her chin always sloped up, setting her head up like an ancient statue. "The girls before you must be regarded with the highest respect. Their sacrifice will feed our clan's power and make us stronger than before"

         Sacrifice. Val had heard the term used to describe the Harvest before, but none of the present witches actually had seen the ritual performed, and of course, the Chosen were oblivious. It was the will of their Ancestors, and it was strictly passed through word of mouth only from Supreme to Supreme, or the highest ranking in the coven. It was a clandestine ceremony, one that was not to be fooled with. The secrecy of the Harvest only enticed Val more, dragging her into its tight, unbearing grasp