Chapter 6

Natasha stands in the middle of the room, waiting for the two men to leave before turning to face me.

"Sorry about outing you like that," she says innocently.

"It's fine. Tony would have found out eventually anyway."

"So?"

"So?" I look at her with a raised brow.

"You and Barnes?" She smiles.

"Not happening, Nat." I laugh.

"Oh, come on. You can tell me anything! We're best friends!" she whines.

I throw my arm over her shoulders, pulling her in with a light squeeze. "You're right, we are. And I love you, младшая сестра (younger sister). But I'm not telling you about Barnes."
There is no way I can tell her; it's too painful a memory, even to share with my sister.

I turn, walking toward the bags hanging at the back of the room, leaving her in the middle to pout.

Finding some tape, I wrap my hands. Nat follows before long and stands behind the bag I am taking some frustrations out on. Holding it tight, she makes sure it doesn't move each time my fist connects with it.

We make small talk, with her trying to understand what had happened to me.

"I know you won't talk about Barnes, but can you at least tell me why you left us?"

"I just couldn't play the 'good guy' anymore, Nat," I reply between strikes.

"That's crap. You relished being on the side of righteousness with Rogers." She laughs.

"That's beside the point." I shake my head, holding back a laugh.

"From one super-soldier to another, huh? They must be excellent in the romance department." She quips.

"You know I don't kiss and tell." I wink.

"Tell me the truth. Why did you run off? No note, no warning, no nothing. No one could find you. It was like you disappeared."

"That was the point," I say flatly. "Look, promise not to tell anyone?"

"You know me." She cocks her head, giving a somewhat quizzical look.

"Exactly." I laugh, "so, again, promise not to tell anyone?"

"Promise. What was it?"

"Barnes. All roads lead to Barnes, Natalia."

"What about him?"

"I helped Steve with him once he broke out after being triggered by that low-life doctor. He remembered me; he trusted me, not Rogers. When he was - himself again, I couldn't be around him."

"So why choose to stay now?"

"He doesn't remember our past now. Not after Wakanda."

"You know you had us scared something happened, right?"

"I'm sorry. I probably could have done things differently, but in that moment, I was taken over by what few emotions I may have, and I ran. Rather than face everything, I fell back into old habits."

"But not even Fury could find you?"

"As I said, that was the goal." I finally step away from the bag.

Breathing heavy, with sweat pouring down my face, I step back and reste my back against the wall.

"I'm sorry, Nat. I had to go deep - go back to being a shadow - to make sure there was no way he'd find me." I slide down the wall.

"But, we found you anyway?"

I look up at her with narrow eyes, and my head cocked to the side. "On accident. You guys weren't looking for me. You were there on a mission and happened to stumble into my latest assignment."

"Maybe. But we found you." She smirks. "We can argue details later; let's see if you still have what it takes to work with us."

I shrug, standing from my spot. Maybe a little hand-to-hand combat wouldn't hurt.

----------------------------------------------------------------After spending two long hours training with Natasha on the mat, we finally decide to call it quits. We are both tired and sore and ready for some much-needed rest.

Making our way from the elevator to our rooms, we part ways on her floor. She goes off to her bedroom, and I continue up to the level I had shared with Steve when I would stay at the Tower.

With some minor changes made from Tony's original design, we had three rooms we could choose from. Looking down the narrow hall, I see the three solid doors. Steve had taken the first room on the right, and I claimed the single bedroom on the left. The last room, on the right side of the hall to the end, was left empty. I never asked Steve why he had requested three bedrooms or who he had hoped would fill the third, but I was sure I knew who was residing in there now.

Slowly opening the door, I just stand in the doorway and look around. Everything is how I'd left it, down to the weapons still being in their places around the room. The only thing that has changed is the sheets.

I hear the door behind me click open. Just as I suspected, I watch as Bucky steps inside and closes the door.

While staring at his door, I hear silent steps approaching behind me."You kept it just the way I left it, huh?" I say before he can even open his mouth.

Turning around, I look up at Steve's delicate features. That signature smile of Roger's can still make my knees weak.

Maybe staying wasn't such a great idea, after all, I think to myself.

"Why would I change it? I knew you'd be back eventually, and I knew you'd try to kill me if anything had changed." He chuckles. "Besides, even I haven't been back in the Tower that long."

"True." I smile. "But, you did touch my bed." I poke him in the chest.

"I changed them while you were with Nat. I wanted to make sure you had fresh sheets, just like you like them." He steps a little closer.

"Steve..." I lock my eyes with him, trying to judge what he is thinking.

"I don't expect things to be like they were. Especially since Bucky is here." He speaks softly, running his hands down each of my arms. "I'm just glad you're back. And safe. Believe me; I'm more than happy as friends." He leans down and presses a gentle kiss to my forehead. "Goodnight, Marena."

Turning, he makes his way back to his room, closing the door after offering one last smile.

I walk into my room, close and lock the door, and make my way to the bathroom.
After a quick shower, I throw on a T-shirt and shorts and crawl into bed. It doesn't take long before sleep washes over me. Despite being a light sleeper, I always got the best rest in the Tower. It is the only place where the nightmares seem less frequent.