Chapter 9: A New City and Family

It was so big.

The great capital of Czésta, Czésta City, loomed towards them as they had passed the mountain road and soon would be in clear sight of the city. It was well-constructed and was also well protected because it was encircled by the Czésta Mountains which they had just crossed. The city was perched upwards, as it was slanted on a hill that changed into a series of crags, leading then to an ocean view of the Hunspr Sea. It was a wonderful sight to see, and Silva couldn't help but count the large buildings that rose even higher as the city ascended towards the mountains.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Markus remarked as he looked to be taking it all in from his pleasant expression. "An old city this is, built under Czésta the Talented himself. History says that he settled here on this island under the influence of Odvaha Czahun the First and made it a country under Czahun's rule. Now it's one of the most substantial shipping cities in the land."

"It's so big," Silva muttered, still in shock compared to her little village westward.

"This is all a great surprise to you, I figure," Markus replied. "You better make yourself at home. We'll be staying here for some time, maybe less if you complete your training sooner. Look left, would you." Silva turned her head, and there she saw a massive mountain overshadowing the rest around it like it was their king. 

"That's Usama Peak," Markus said as Silva was still gawking at the mountain. "That's where your training will start." 

Silva frowned, as the mountain looked far from where they were, and it wasn't close to the city either. "Why do we have to train there?" Silva asked. "Can't we just train in the city? Wouldn't that be easier?"

Markus shook his head which turned down Silva's hopes in an instant. "If I trained you there, you'd only pick up the basics, which would make you adept enough to be a guard or something like that," He tried to explain. "Rest assured, you aren't an average human with average fighting skills, and you have much more potential."

"Is it because of my magic, or that I'm an elf? What difference does it make?" Silva asked as she wasn't picking up the reason for this. 

"Silva," Markus told her, "What we're going to test isn't all fighting with weapons. We're also going to test your agility, reflexes, and speed. You're going to climb that mountain while I stand at the top throwing various objects at you."

Silva tried to take in what he just said, but she still couldn't, since it was just too absurd to believe. "Are you serious?" Silva exclaimed. "That isn't normal at all! Who in their right mind would train like that! You'd get killed!" 

Markus smiled, and he patted Silva on the shoulder with eyes of great confidence. "Silva, you were born from the Wood elves, who were said in stories to be the fastest to ever run. They could climb and jump around massive trees with ease, nimble as a fox. There is no doubt in my mind that you are one of them, and with a little bit of risk comes an even greater reward."

"What does it matter if I can jump up and down trees and run like a fox?" Silva retorted. "It won't do any good if I have no fighting experience." 

Markus held up two fingers. "Multitasking," He said, "That's what we are going to do. It might take a while to get used to, but I think you'll manage. After all, it's in your genes." Silva nodded, even though she still couldn't believe what they were attempting to achieve.

He's a lunatic, Silva thought to herself. But if I can do this, then it won't be hard to escape from rough situations. I won't get caught like I did last time with the Blood Hunters.

"What about the money that we need?" asked Silva.

"Don't worry, I'll deal with it," Markus guaranteed. "I'll even do bounty hunting if I have to."