Chapter 23: A Smile as Cold as Ice

"I wonder why those guys were so afraid of him," George had exclaimed after what had happened to them in the alleyway.

"It's probably because he is one of the poradni," Kaika explained. "Jonas Eidelman, I know that man. He once visited Kipcsken to discuss some matters with the Starosta. I can't recall much as it was some time ago, but I remember it didn't go as well as was planned."

 So, he is one of the Starosta's advisors, Mary thought. I guess that the poradni have some influence over the people in this city, but the way he ushered off those thugs. It was like he was their boss or something.

"So, I guess that's why those men ran off," Isaac said. "They must have done something to piss off the Starosta, and that's why that man was so angry at them. Could this also be for public appearance?" Kaika seemed like she wasn't sure, and seemed lost in thought. 

"Well, not that it matters much; we're just passing by," Isaac added, and he suggested that they take their leave again. The group did so, regarding that the street opened up into the main road and divulged into many others. Mary could view the many wonders of the portside now.

Mary saw a flock of seagulls gliding past them, which sounded the coming of the sea nearby. This area of the city seemed the most vibrant, with the loud noises of ships rolling by and the harbor men directing traffic. Mary had never seen such a wide display of ships lined up on the harbor, ranging in sizes from small sailboats to the great big land ships. These ships had various markings on their flags which mostly represented where they came from.

Mary had trouble recognizing which country was represented, remembering being taught about the nation's countries and their providences. She mostly forgot about the countries, as the topic wasn't her favorite thing to learn. Besides, Mary had never attended a real schoolhouse because she was an orphan. Because they were in the care of twenty orphans, the church could not afford to send children to schoolhouses.

Even if they could pay for it, Mary would have to go to the nearest schoolhouse in Orscina. She would have to be taken into foster care by somebody. All in all, there were many reasons why Mary could not have gotten an education, which she didn't mind since she had already taken up weaving as a job. It didn't interest Mary either, but considering the scarce line of work for orphans, it was the best she could have gotten.

Glancing towards the array of ships, Mary wondered if her normal life would vanish now. Her heart was pounding as if she was taking back her words to herself about being free and enjoying the world around her. There was a civil war in her mind, and one side had steps, leading to a ship that sailed beyond. On the other side there sat a loom which lay in a dark room, ready and willing to be used.

Stop this, Mary said to herself. Why am I still thinking about myself? Doesn't Silva matter to me more than anything that I decide? Isn't that what I told myself?

She went back to reality, noticing that they had finally found an inn. The inn was called The Sailor's Hoard, and without much hesitation, the group walked inside. 

Mary breathed in a whole different aroma than before. It arose from the bar, and it certainly wasn't a pleasant one. The doors were creaky as they went inside, and the inn reeked of alcohol. There was also rotting moss that was plastered around the worn-down cobblestone. Also, the tavern was pretty empty aside from a couple of stragglers who looked at Mary's group with aggravation, which made the aroma even nastier.

 "Hey," Mary whispered to Isaac. "Let's find a better one. I don't like this place one bit."

"We can't keep looking for the perfect place, Mary," Isaac whispered back. "Or else we'll be sleeping outside."