Chapter 18: The Messenger

It had been a day later as Raavi was standing in his familiar, comfortable clothes outside the primary passageway that led to the bridge. Looking out of the porthole, he could see the usual orbit of New Olympia. The great white fleet of warships remained as they always were.

There was a look of content and satisfaction on his face. He seemed to be in deep thought over the recent events. Something still seemed to weigh upon him as he had his arms folded up. He could feel a slight amount of ache as his joints were sore from the rock climbing about an hour ago. The final hours were upon everyone. The vessel had returned from its almost year-long journey. Three years of being on the ship were coming to a close.

"There he is.....my friend," a familiar male voice called out to him. Raavi turned to see who it was.

Standing together was a couple he knew all too well. Both Akari and Jabr were dressed in their own relaxed outfit as they were walking towards him. Akari was dressed in a pink and blue silk dress, while Jabr wore pants and a shirt similar to Raavi's attire. Nuzzled close to Akari's breast was their child. The familiar sight of seeing the anthro rat and her baby brought the pleasant memories he was having as well. It made him smile as a result.

"There is a look of happiness on his face!" Akari almost exclaimed. Even her baby, that was fast asleep, was almost startled awake.

"I have much good news to tell," Raavi remarked to them as they both walked up to him. He held up his hands as if to express victory.

"Ah!" Akari reacted. She got the gesture almost immediately. "Are you a father!?"

He nodded his head to them.

"About time," Akari said. "I wondered how long that hippo gal of yours was going to give birth. Just one or all of them?"

"Just one.....my son."

"Congratulations," Jabr said in his thick Oshun accent. He was the first to approach him. He held out his hand as Raavi happily shook it. "I wondered if I would get the chance to see you two finally become parents. I never had the chance to see my friend Ericson and Minerva's child."

"Hey! That isn't fair," Akari protested. "That should be my line. I can't congratulate him with a baby in my hand."

"Here," Jabr replied as he backed away from Raavi and got next to his wife. Akari gently passed the small rodent-like infant over to him as Akari walked and gave a big hug to Raavi.

The Yuki were an odd bunch for Raavi. With them being much shorter, they had a variety of personalities. Akari was no different. She seemed thrilled with the news as she was having to reach up, almost using the tippy toes of her padded clawed feet.

"I am so happy for you two," Akari continued as she let go of him. "You know this has been a good year despite everything that has happened. I was a little bit sad that it had to come to an end sooner than expected."

"It was..." Jabr added. "In the end, good friends were all that was needed."

Raavi nodded his head. "I agree.....a part of me doesn't want to leave, but it is time to move on."

"Awww..." Akari replied as she turned around and stood next to Jabr. Her hairless tail began to wag a little bit. "Now you are going to make me get all sad."

"It really was good being on this ship with you," Jabr said. "You have some qualities that Ericson never had."

"Hmmm...." Raavi asked as he rubbed the hair of his light beard. "I wonder what that is?"