Chapter 10 - Coming For Tea

When it came time for Louis to come over for tea, my anxiety bubbled inside of me. I had no idea what to wear, yet again, and I had no idea how Louis was going to be dressed, and although this is just a meal at home with my mum and my fake boyfriend, I didn't want to be under or overdressed. I didn't want Louis to think I was some sort of a slob.

I bite my lip and hum to the music playing in the background as I pull out a simple button-up shirt and some dark trousers with a belt. Simple but effective. I dance around my room, singing along to the music as I pull on the items of clothing I'd pulled out.

I was just finishing buckling my belt when my mum shouted that Louis was there. I took a deep breath and ran a hand through my hair. "Okay, I got this," I mutter to myself, turning the music off and jogging downstairs to see Louis slipping off his vans by the door.

He turns to me and smiles. "Hi."

I run my eyes over his outfit, and he looked... Well, beautiful. He slipped his coat off and hung it on the hook. He had on light-coloured trousers and a simple white t-shirt. Suspenders were clipped to his pants, and I let my eyes trail up to them as they wrapped up and around Louis' shoulders. It kinda didn't fit Louis' piercings, but it did fit Louis. Strange how things work, isn't it?

"Want a picture?" Louis laughs, and I snap out of my thoughts, blushing profusely.

"Uh, sorry..." I scratch the back of my neck. What is it with Louis and making me nervous?

"You look great, Haz. I was worried I'd look too dressed up."

I smile and look at my outfit, then his. "That would make two of us then."

I lead Louis into the living room, and we sit on the sofa beside one another. It was quiet as neither of us knew what to say.

"I didn't actually expect you to come," I say after a while.

Louis looks at me and raises an eyebrow. "Why not?"

I shrug and look at the TV even though nothing was on. "I don't know... I thought you'd be too cool to come 'ave tea, especially with me. I'm a no one."

"You're my boyfr-"

"Fake boyfriend," I whisper. "We're not actually together. So I guess that's also why I didn't expect you to come."

Louis frowned and looked out the window for a few seconds before glancing at me. "Well, it wouldn't have been right if I didn't show up and make an effort. Your mum would hate me."

I smile slightly and nod. "You're right; she would. She takes this relationship stuff seriously."

Louis laughs softly, and I laugh too. His laugh was such an incredible sound to my ears; I wanted to hear it often. Maybe even be the reason for it. Just maybe.

---

Sitting at the dining table, Louis opposite mum and me in her usual spot at the head of the table, the chatter was almost minimal as we ate. I'd glance at Louis every so often, and whenever he caught me, he'd smirk knowingly and gently tap my leg with his foot.

Dinner was only pizza and wedges with some other sides, and some salad barely touched. Maybe Louis and I were a little overdressed, but it didn't occur to me to mind.

My mum kept offering Louis more and more food each time he'd clear his plate, and although he had this expression on his face that showed he was full, he politely continued eating what was given to him. Well, until I stopped her, laughing. "Mum, I think he's had enough."

My mum looked at me then Louis, her cheeks tinted pink. "Oh, sorry." She laughs a little, and Louis grins, laughing too, which then causes me to laugh as well.