48~ Being Extra

Chapter-48 :

Mr. Williams appeared proud and cheerful as he introduced Charles to Mr. De Haven, and they exchanged smiles. Charles suddenly took the microphone and began to speak.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I will do my best to keep this company running smoothly, and I would like to clarify that, while I have been appointed Executive Manager, my father will remain in charge for the time being. I cannot wait to work with all of you." He grinned, his voice was sharp, and he looked like a total Brit. The hall was once more filled with cheers and applause.

"Why did James do that? He was the best!" I recognised the voice next to me.

"What is wrong with that, Lydia? Every father hopes his son or daughter will carry on his legacy, and Mr. Williams is fortunate that his son has chosen the same path." I said it in a firm tone, recalling the past.

My father always wanted to see me with a stethoscope, but I chose marketing. Even though he was upset with me, he never opposed my decision.
I miss you, Dad!
Before I knew it, my eyes were wet, and I blinked to wipe them away.

"What is the matter? Your expression solidified into sadness. What is wrong, Cole?" Lydia touched my shoulder, her eyes filled with concern, and I gave her a lopsided smile.

"Nothing, just memories, stirred my mind."

"Is it about your father?" She asked innocently, and I simply nodded without responding.

"I apologise." She whispered, and I shook my head at her, smiling briefly.

"Do not ruin the mood, woman!" I groaned at her unhappy expression.

"Let us talk about something. Um, Rose, tell me about your father!" When I asked, her face hardened and her jaw clenched.

"Hey, what is wrong?"

"Mr. Roberts, Miss Davies!" We heard Mr. Williams calling us, and we turned to face him, where our staff had gathered off the stage.

He beckoned us to come, and we nodded before walking to the location and standing together. I noticed Charles was standing opposite us and examined his features.

He is not on my level, but he is handsome!

"This is my son Charles Williams, and Charles and Charles are our creative director and chief marketing officer, Lydia Davies and Austin Roberts, respectively." Mr. Williams introduced his son to us, and his gaze was drawn to us.

"It is nice to meet you, Mr. Charles, and congratulations on taking on the role of Executive Manager." I greeted him and offered my hand.

"Thank you, and please call me Charles, Austin." He smiled warmly.

"Sure, Charles!" I returned his smile.

His gaze was then drawn to the lady beside me, who had a blank expression.

"Nice to meet you, Lydia." Charles extended his hand, expecting her to take it, but she remained motionless.

I glared at her, and when our gazes met, I gestured for her to accept it. She took a deep breath and placed her hand alongside his.