7: Moving day

Katya had been packing up her apartment all day. Trixie had texted her yesterday telling her that she would be able to move in today, which was a relief considering she and Tabitha had just about run out of money to pay rent. Actually, the opportunity to tutor the barbie may have been a blessing in disguise. Their current apartment really looked like something you would see Chris Hansen investigate on Crime watch. Even though Katya had tried to make the most out of it, she had not yet managed to make it look very homely. Aside from the hundreds of art supplies scattered around the apartment, she had long since understood why her landlords, two women in their 90s (although to Katya they each looked about 217) who only spoke Greek, rented it to her for such a low price. There were few others in her apartment complex which Katya was thankful for as privacy was something she valued a great deal, but there were many reasons why Violet, Bianca, and her never hung out in the dungeon she called home. Old, rustic wallpaper of some sort of phallic-looking flower? Animal? The Russian had never really been able to determine. The window would not open no matter how hard she pulled, and the glass been stale and yellow ever since she had moved in. The bathroom was admittedly the worst. Black mold lined the floors of the shower, and no matter how hard she tried, she could never get rid of the spiders that had infested themselves among her sanitary products. Not to mention, she hardly ever had any hot water. 

So, yeah. Maybe she was a tad bit grateful that the principal had proposed that she and Trixie move in together and that she would be paid for studying with someone. And, yeah. Maybe she was extremely happy that someone was Beatrice Mattel- the most attractive woman she had ever seen. But, of course, she would never tell anyone that and especially not Trixie.

Currently, Katya was loading suitcases and boxes into the trunk of Bianca's SUV, cursing herself for not wearing some sort of raincoat considering she had become completely soaked by the water pouring down from above.

"Katya there is no way in hell I'm letting you into my car without getting you a head-to-toe poncho or something. You're going to drench my seat!"

"Don't worry B, it won't be much different to summer when I'm drenched... In sweat"

"I swear I hate you. Why oh why did I chose to come here with you"

"I ask myself the same question every day. Now, where's Tabitha?"

"Your daughter is in the backseat sleeping. Maybe you should join her, considering it would make my life ten times better if you would shut up"

"Ha. Ha. Ha", Katya deadpanned while jumping in the car and pretending to shake the water off of her body like a dog. 

"Katya!"

***

At 7 pm Katya had finally finished unpacking her things in her bedroom. Trixie had not arrived yet, which is why she at first hesitated to unload the boxes for the kitchen and living room but realizing the barbie would probably not arrive until later, the areas were decorated with red accent pieces and small plastic hands. She had also set up her easel and canvases in the far right corner of the living room which granted her a lovely view of Manhattan which she had decided to, in the spur of the moment, paint. 

Now, Katya was covered in paint, with various shades of brown having been swatched on her arms as she had forgotten where the pallette had been put. She was just about to paint the detail on a small sign of a café when she heard the door open.

"Shit fuck", she mumbled to herself as she viewed in horror a thin dark line that had been smeared across the painting as she had jumped in shock.

"Well this is a warm welcome home", Trixie drew sarcastically as she closed the door behind her and began taking off her boots.