chapter thirty nine

|||Dream POV|||

Their footsteps are light on the cobblestone, making little to no sound in the crisp air. Dream looks over at Technoblade, noticing his strained grimace and furrowed eyebrows. He offers a hand, which Technoblade hesitantly accepts. The air cools their bodies, Technoblade’s skin freezing against his own.

Dream wasn’t good at comforting, but what he could do was protect Technoblade. The memory of earlier still plagues his mind, Dream can’t seem to shake the sensation of the kiss off his lips. They tingle with every shaky breath, and despite the iciness that clings to them, his face feels as fiery as ever before. He wonders if Technoblade was feeling the same way, or if this was just him.

The Whitehouse looms above them like a tower. The little sunlight causes the quartz to glisten. Dream looks back at Technoblade, who takes a deep breath and walks inside, only to be followed by Dream.

They both knew where Schlatt’s office was, so the maze of hallways did little to slow them down. The spruce and quartz contrast a little too much, the constant change giving Dream a slight headache. The carpet is a little too soft, the dirt on their shoes leaving stains in the verdant green. Not that Dream cared, not at all, this entire place could burn for all he cared.

Eventually the familiar door comes into view, and Technoblade slows down. Dream gives his hand a light squeeze, he looks up. The door stares back. He wants to kick it down, he wants to relieve this burning irritation that pulls at his limbs.

“This shouldn’t be any different, right? Schlatt doesn’t have a reason to refuse me.” Technoblade is trying to comfort himself, Dream nods along to make him feel better. If Schlatt tried to do anything shady then Dream would make him regret it.

Technoblade sighs and places a hand against the door, closing his eyes before grabbing the doorknob and giving it a sharp twist. The door swings open effortlessly, and Technoblade steps inside. Dream quickly follows him.

Schlatt is inside as they anticipated, his eyes look up and widen in surprise, before his face goes slack and a small smile creeps onto his face. Dream is already on edge.

“Hello, didn’t expect to see you two together today.” Schlatt leans back in his chair, hand ducking under the table. Dream tenses and reaches for his weapon, but Schlatt only seems to pull out another bottle. Figures.

“I need more vials and Dream wanted to come along.” Technoblade speaks in a low voice, trying to balance the shakiness in his tone to come off as unconcerned, “I need more, and I was wondering if you could give me another few?”

Schlatt dramatically sighs and stands up; Dream notices the bottle in his hand is empty.

“I would, Techno, but the loss of blood has been getting to me, y’know?” Schlatt walks to the front of his desk and leans back, staring at him with mock sadness, though Dream doesn’t know if Technoblade can tell that. “I’ve started to reconsider this entire idea.”

“W-what?! This is important-”

“Are you saying you’re more important than my health?” Schlatt interrupts his retort and watches as Technoblade stills. Dream feels his hand tighten around his own. He’s obviously struggling with trying to pick the right words, he knew Technoblade was worried about screwing this up.

“I… I’m not saying that, but this could hurt so many more people, Schlatt! I’m sure that you care at least a little bit-”

Schlatt laughs, “Hey Techno, did you ever relay my request to Wilbur? That was the only thing I asked of you.”

Dream steps forward, watching as Technoblade blanches and goes silent once again. 

“Wilbur isn’t in a right state of mind to talk to you of all people- I’m sure you know that.” Dream watches Schlatt’s grin grow.

“Oh? I have no idea what you’re saying.” Schlatt leans up and fiddles with the bottle in his hands, “I’m sure you two are just being dramatic.”

“We’re not-”

“Well that doesn’t matter now. If Technoblade can’t even do one simple request why should I give him more of my blood? If you couldn’t tell it’s been affecting me too.” Dream takes a moment to properly take in Schlatt’s appearance, noticing that his skin did indeed have a pale tint to it.

“Why would you make a deal like that if you couldn’t fulfill your end of the bargain? Surely you would’ve known this would happen to you?”

“Well the deal was I could back out anytime, and so could Technoblade. I don't see the problem you two clearly see.” He dodges answering the question, but before Dream can pester him more Technoblade interrupts, raising a hand to his chest as he steps forward.

“Schlatt please, we don’t have anywhere else to get the blood from-” 

“What about your family?”

“The only hybrid is my… d-dad, but he isn’t here!” Technoblade gets more desperate and Schlatt looks deep in thought.

“Your dad has sons does he not?”

Technoblade halts. His eyes drift to the floor, clouded with hesitation as he processes what Schlatt was implying. Technoblade has beautiful eyes, Dream observes. They glisten like rubies, and if he could peer through into his head and understand what was spinning in there, he would. But Dream is left in the dark until Technoblade finally speaks up.

“But they’re not hybrids-”

“Correction; they don’t have hybrid features, that’s not the same thing. You really think hybrid genetics could be washed out with one generation?" Schlatt snickers under his breath. "Obviously it's not as efficient as my blood, but it’s definitely better than nothing.”

“So you-”

Schlatt takes a step closer to them, Dream steps in front of Technoblade protectively, watching with narrowed eyes as Schlatt pauses. Whatever Schlatt was thinking of seems to cause him to reconsider, his eyes drift down to their hands, Dream hasn’t let go of Technoblade once since they came in here.

“My answer is…” Schlatt seems to ponder, before shaking his head, “my answer is no, now please leave, I don’t need your assistance for anything else; I’ll get into contact with him myself.”

Technoblade bites his lip, Dream looks back and hopes he doesn’t take the news badly. He didn’t expect Schlatt to agree, but he was here so Technoblade didn’t start offering things he would regret. 

“P-please reconsider, that information is useless!” Technoblade pulls away from Dream, eyes gleaming with desperation, “I’m not going to take blood from my younger brother- he- he’s-”

“My apologies, but my health is at the top of my list. I’m sure you understand?” Schlatt’s voice drips with a sweet tone, one so smooth that even Dream looks up with surprise. “-I have my own issues I need to take care of, I can’t afford to get too sick because I sympathize for you.”

“I… I understand, sorry.” Technoblade refuses to make eye contact, slightly hunched over, pink bangs covering his eyes like a curtain. Dream doesn’t like how nice Schlatt was being, or how accepting Technoblade was. It was off, like someone had tilted the frame and he was seeing things differently. Since when was Schlatt ever this nice? Dream never thought he would ever see him apologize.

“I… really can’t change your mind?” Technoblade almost whispers. He starts to break down as Schlatt shakes his head, but Dream tugs him towards the door before he does. Schlatt watches with unwavering eyes as they leave the room, Dream glancing back one last time. The ram hybrid is grinning. The bottle in his hands is placed next to him as he mockingly waves them goodbye. Dream pulls the middle finger and slams the door shut.

Technoblade stumbles backward, back hitting the wall as he tries to breath. Dream is quick to rush over and pull him into a hug.

“It’s fine, we’ll find someone else.”

“There’s no one else! I-I’m not taking blood from Tommy and Wilbur isn't here!” Technoblade sniffles, “I don’t think Tommy's body would be able to handle that…”

“We’ll figure it out, don’t worry.” Dream rubs his back and closes his eyes, resting his chin on Technoblade’s shoulder. Despite the thoughts, one thing plagues his mind throughout it all. Schlatt’s determination to get into contact with Wilbur.