𝐨 𝐧 𝐞

πράσινος (Green)

πράσινος (Green)

The colour green is said to be the colour of jealousy. Green with envy, they call it. The Greeks believed that the overproduction of bile and jealousy were interconnected, causing one to look pale and bloodless when jealous. The poetess, Sappho described the complexion of a stricken lover using the word 'green'.

I have always found it interesting how a colour can be both refreshing and disgusting when used in different contexts. Nature and envy.

The thought of the green-haired girl's lips on his lips kissing him without a care in the world, and the way he was kissing her back with his hands on her waist spurred jealously and anger in me. 

"Bella! Psst, Bella!" I felt a light nudge to my right elbow. The nudge got harder which brought me back to reality. I dropped the green pen in my left hand onto my notebook. The page which I was mindlessly scribbling on was marred with harsh and angry green strokes.

My pastel-haired best friend eyed me weirdly, then jutted out her chin to the front of the class where Mrs. Anderson was explaining the characteristics of the poem 'Neutral Tones by Thomas Hardy'.

"Are you okay?" My best friend, Bailey whispered as I closed my book.

"Yeah." I whispered back. Lies.

I hate the colour green. I hated that I was jealous. What more of a girl I did not know at all?

"...so I'll see all of you next week. Remember to finish the interpretations I asked you to do." Mrs. Anderson's voice trailed off as she left the class. Bailey got up first, staring at me, as she flung her pastel pink backpack over her shoulder.

"What?" I snapped at her. She put her arm through my arm, dragging me out of the class.

"Who was it this time?" She asked, chuckling knowingly. This wasn't the first time I was jealous. Probably the 27th time or more.

"Some girl with green hair."

"Green hair? Hmm...what kind of green?"

"Like neon green or something." I murmured, as we entered Madam Rosie's, a cafe we frequented.

We sat at our usual spot, then she asked, "Maya?"

I shrugged, sipping my rose latte. I glanced at the cafe that was bustling with students from different majors, my eyes scanning the place thoroughly in hopes to find the only person I'm looking for. But I knew he wasn't here, because if he was, everyone and I mean, everyone would notice his presence.

Rio. Rio Perez. My secret. My skeleton in the cupboard. My complicated puzzle. My unsolved riddle.

"What do you think the scariest type of love is?" I asked my best friend.