Chapter 7: Crash and Burn

Crash and Burn

I had been driving for about 5 hours now, and I couldn’t help but feel anxious. I might finally see my parents for the first time in my life. Why did they leave in the first place? Why didn’t they come back? I have so many questions. First things first though, I need to find Alexa and everyone else before I do anything… God I’m just so nervous. Maybe some music might help.

Sighing I reach down turning on the radio, before leaning back in my chair.

‘Where you think you’re going baby?

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy!

But here’s my number

So call me-‘

Shaking my head I quickly turn off the radio.

There is no way I can focus if that song is on. I think.

Along the horizon I can start to make out a city just up ahead. It looks torn down just like back home though. Buildings are toppled over each other, and graffiti is almost covering every inch of it. Blood stains the roads, and flickering streetlamps dangle from above. Although it seems deserted, something just doesn’t feel right. I continue to drive through the city slowly and cautiously. I look around for anything suspicious, but nothing catches my attention. It’s dead silent; the only thing I can hear is the sound of my engine, and my still breath.

Maybe it’s just my imagination. I make my way down the street until I hear a beeping noise coming from somewhere up ahead. I slam on the brakes and look around for the source. Not hearing it I slowly start up again, listening for the noise.

I have a bad feeling about this. I mentally warn myself.

Hearing it again but much closer, I whip my head in front to see a small plate like devise on the ground with a red blinker on top. That seems to be the source, so I move forward to investigate.

Wait… that almost looks like… Shit! Get out now!

The beeping starts to speed up and I quickly open my glove department grabbing the documents before jumping out the car to run. I don’t get far before I hear an explosion, and I feel myself being forced forward. I slam into a concrete wall hard and land in a heap, feeling rubble fall down on my body.

I hold back a scream, and strain myself trying to get up. My ears are ringing, and I start to feel light headed. I feel my eyes roll back before everything goes dark.

I feel something hit my head as I groan and open my eyes. I turn and look around, checking my surroundings. It looks I’m in some sort of make shift hut made up of fallen walls. I turn and see a figure sitting across from me looking at the ground. She has long bleach blonde hair that covers her face, and pale creamy skin. She wears a light blue t-shirt, and black skinny jeans. She sees me staring and smiles.

“Glad to see you’re finally awake.” She says.

On instinct I shoot up grabbing my desert eagle aiming at her head.

“Back away slowly!” I say glaring at her.

Her eyes widen and she starts to freak out. “W-W-Wait please d-d-don’t shoot! I didn’t do anything I s-swear!” She stutters on the verge of tears.

I narrow my eyes and stare at her, noticing she has bright sky blue eyes. I put my gun back in its holster letting out a sigh of relief. “You’re human.” I say sitting back down.

She raises an eyebrow. “Thank… you?” She says confused.

“Sorry about that. It’s a force of habit.” I say giving her a sincere smile. “It’s just that we don’t meet many survivors out here anymore.”