Chapter 9: In the Hot Seat

In the Hot Seat

Chapter 9

The two adults look at me holding on to the other. The look of fear is evident through their expressions. Their skin is pale and they have some blood blotches covering their faces, but they still greatly resemble the pictures. I want to say something, but no words come out of my mouth.

The man clears his throat. “Who are you, and why are you here?”

I regain my composure as I turn to him. “I assure you I’m here to help. I’m going to get you guys out of here safe.”

He narrows his eyes at me. “And how do we know we can trust you?”

“Well it’s either that, or you wait for someone else to find you. And I can assure you they won’t be as friendly as me.”

He continues to glare at me before nodding his head. “We’ll go with you for now.” He turns to the woman next to him and whispers something I can’t hear. The woman then nods and he helps her to her feet.

The man stands up and dusts off his shirt using an old table for support. “So where exactly are you taking us?”

I grab a syringe out of my side pocket. “I will explain all I can on the way, but I need to see your arms first. “ I take hold of the woman’s hand, and she flinches at the touch. I look up at her. “This is gonna sting a little bit.”

I inject the serum into her arm and she lets out a small cry of pain. The man immediately snatches her arm away, and glares at me. “What did you just do!?”

I hold my hands up in defense. “Relax, it’s just an antidote we use so we don’t get infected by the fog out there.”

He raises an eyebrow. “Fog? We?” 

“We really don’t have the time for this conversation right now.” I say motioning to the door.

“I’m not going anywhere until I know what’s going on.” He says crossing his arms.

I groan. Did he really have to be this stubborn? Then again he’s probably where I get it from.

“Look I’ll explain everything the best I can on the way, but we really need to leave. We don’t have much time.” I say glancing at my watch.

The man opens his mouth to speak, but is cut off by the woman next to him.

“Honey let’s just go with him for now. I think we can trust him.” She says smiling at me.

I can’t help, but smile back, at least someone in this family wasn’t hot headed.

He scowls making the scar on his upper lip more noticeable. “Fine, we’ll go.” He says holding out his arm.

I nod and inject the serum . He winces and pulls his arm back. “Alright now what?”

I point downstairs. “Now we get out of here.”

wwwwww

I lead them downstairs out the apartment complex, and on to the streets. Motioning them to follow I hide behind a tipped over dumpster and waited.

The man lets out a slight groan. “What are we doing-?”

I cut him off holding my finger to my lips. He got the message because he instantly shut up. A group of Droids pass down the street not soon after. I give them a stern look. “If we all want to make it out of here alive you both need to listen and do exactly as I say.” 

They both nod before we continue to make our way down the street. It felt weird lecturing my own parents. Almost as if the roles should be reversed, but after not knowing them my whole life and now knowing they were both alive. Well I can’t help but think they deserve it.