s e v e n

🛑TW for self harm🛑 (kind of, there's talk of it) I'll put * around where it is so you can still read the chapter if this is triggering for you.

"Molly! Arthur! Kids!" James answered the door with a big grin.

"Hello James, good to see you again dear." Molly handed him a gift basket full of homemade treats and pulled him into a bone crushing but immensely comforting hug.

"Thank you but you really didn't have to." James gestured to the gift but smiled as he lead the large family through the house, placing the basket on the kitchen bench. "Of course we did, come on kids, out we go." Arthur ushered his seven children out the back door to the decorated garden where food was being laid out on tables and Sirius was fiddling with a record player.

"I hope the press didn't give you too much trouble?" James said nervously although it was more of a question. "You don't need to worry about that." Molly gave him a caring pat on the cheek and a warm smile before making her own way outside.

Of course, Harry being the son of a famous singer, the world was well aware that it was his birthday. Paparazzi had been camped outside of the grounds of their house for hours waiting for guests to arrive.

James stepped outside and smiled.

It was a sunny day, perfect for their small gathering of friends and family.

Molly chatted fervently with Sirius as an almost four year old Ginny wriggled and squirmed in her firm grasp, desperate to run around with Fred and George who were kicking a football (soccer ball).

A small reunion seemed to be occurring as Harry Potter, Neville Longbottom and Ron Weasley shook hands and hugged as they had seen their parents do before sitting down on the grass to "chat".

Percy was getting into a lively conversation with Regulus, who had at first tried to stay out of the way. The almost nine year old overachiever was having none of this as he promptly pulled Regulus out of his corner and all but demanded he tell him exactly how he became an English teacher.

Charlie ran around after the twins as Bill helped Remus in the kitchen with several fruit and dessert platters that were being prepared.

James returned to the door moments later welcoming even more guests such as Mary MacDonald, her daughter and Harry's friend Avery as well as Mary's husband Dave.

---

James sat on a deck chair with a beer in his hand listening to idle conversation with a content smile curving his lips.

He watched Harry running through the garden with his friends, soft music playing in the background.

The party had been great so far, Harry played with the kids, James chatted with the adults. Bill and Charlie, being the eldest, conducted games of "what's the time mr wolf" and "fruit salad" for the littler ones.

(if you don't know these games I suggest you re-evaluate your childhood)

As the party was beginning to come to it's close and the sun was getting closer still to the horizon and decorative lights began to twinkle in the trees, Remus entered the garden holding a large cake full of burning candles.

"Happy Birthday to you..." James began the song with Sirius quickly following as all the kids ran over to the table to watch.

"Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday dear Harry,

Happy birthday to you!"

Harry blew out his candles in 3 puffs as he made his wish.