Chapter 3; "Yulema"

"Ok class, I don't really know all of you that well. So, let's go around the room and introduce ourselves. Tell me your name, and what you want to do when you grow up." Mr. Jackson, stated.

I hate doing these types of activities. I see no future for myself. Where I'm from, chances are I'm never going to make it in life. I'll probably end up like my parents for all I know.

"I'll go first. My name is Michael Jackson. I've always wanted to be a singer when I was a kid, but my love for children cut into my dream deeply. So, I decided to become a teacher. See? It's simple. Now, would anyone like to volunteer to go first?" He, asked.

One boy in the back raised his trying catching Mr. Jackson's attention.

"What's your name and what do you want to do when you grow up?" Mr. Jackson, asked.

"My name is Daquan and when I grow up, I want to become a professional basketball player." He, said.

"Very cool! Alright then, who's next?" Mr. Jackson, asked.

One girl raised her hand signaling she wanted to go next.

"What's you name, hun?" He, asked.

"My name is Joanna and when I grow up, I want to be a hair stylist and a make up artist." She, said.

"Nice, Joanna! Who's next?" He, said.

Mr. Jackson went around the whole room finding out about his students. Most of them want to do the same things like becoming an NBA player, a cosmetologist, or a hair stylist. Only a few students said that they wanted to be doctors, lawyers, or scientists. Only goes to show how original people are.

Once it was my turn, I was very speechless.

"And what is your name, sweetie?" Mr. Jackson, asked softly.

I slowly looked up at him and saw that he was staring right at me with a grin on his face, as well as everybody else was.

"..me?" I, asked meekly.

"Yes you, sweetheart." He, chuckled.

I looked around the room and found that all eyes were on me. I took a deep breath and said:

"Yulema."

"Yulema. What a beautiful name." He, repeated in a dreamy tone.

Out of nowhere, my heart started beating like crazy. No ones ever complimented my name before. People would usually make fun of it. I didn't know how to act.

"What do you want to do when you grow up, Yulema?" He, asked.

That question, thus far, is the most difficult question I was asked so far.

"I don't know." I, said quietly.

"You don't know?" He, asked.

"No. I'm not good at anything, so I don't know." I, admitted.

His bright grin died a little once I said that. He started to come closer which made my heart beat even faster. He gently put his hand on my shoulder and said to me:

"Everyone is good at something. You have to believe in yourself. Don't put yourself down like that, it'll only make things worse for you."

I looked at him as he rubbed my shoulder and looked back down. He finally took his hand off my shoulder and began speaking again.

"Now that we all know each other a little bit, I would like to know more about yourself. Go home tonight and write a mini biography about yourself in the form of a 4 paragraph essay." He, stated.

After he said the homework, the bell rung, signaling the entire class to get to there next class.

Mr. Jackson said his goodbyes to his students as they were leaving.

"Goodbye, Yulema." He, said in a alluring tone.

The way he said my name when he said goodbye sent chills throughout my body. The way he spoke to me during class was so thrilling. He was so gentle and nice to me. He kept smiling at me the entire time. He treated me so differently from everybody else! This teacher was certainly not going to be another one who picks on me. That's for sure.