ten

ella

     we stumble upon a closed off library near the end of a street filled with miscellaneous shops, this one in particular looked run down, the sign held crooked letters and flickery lights in need of a repair. wynn and i walked in side by side, the ring of a bell going off above us. our eyes glossing over every nook and craney the library shop had that was scattered all over the place. an elderly women sat at the front, a book in one hand and a cup of, what smelled like tea, in the other.

      i began to walk towards the fiction area, interested in the words my mind would be able to capture, but wynn had insisted on looking at the sci fi section. 

        "you need a little dose of something futuristically adventurous," he had stated.

        he pulled me towards the back region of this library shop and sat me down on one of the chairs across from a stack of what seemed to be old newspapers. i sat waiting for wynn to come back, carelessly strumming my fingers on the coffee table in front of me. looking over the environment that sat before me. 

        it wasn't a barnes and noble kind of library or a local library, it was small and cozy. there were books lined and stacked in every inch of this shop, and i absolutely loved it. on the left of me, there was a latter that had little drawings and stickers, what i assume came from kids who enjoyed this shop just as much as i am. 

        "found it!" wynn yelled faintly

        he came walking back with a big smile, a book pressed against his chest, and another in the crease of his hand. "i know you don't like sci fi, and i couldn't really find anything for you anyway," he laughed, "but i found this, it's called become by emery allen. i read it in junior year as an assignment for literature, wasn't really my cup of tea but i thought you might liked to have a go at it. one, you're becoming a new yorker and two, you like deep stuff." he proudly stated

        i laughed and took the book from his hands, it had a minimalistic cover, all black with only the title and subtitle. my fingers opened to random page and i read the text aloud, "i feel like a part of my soul has loved you since the beginning of everything. maybe we're from the same star." i looked back up to wynn and smiled, then turning to my purse and grabbing the drawing he had made for me, placing it on the page i'd just read. 

        "what're you doing?" he asked, his eyes furrowed in confusement. "i'm marking the page where I fell in love with you for picking out a hell of a good book." 

        "but you haven't fully read it yet," he pointed out

        "i will, but there's no need to read this one to a certain extent to know this'll be the book 'll read at 2 in the morning, it's already so lovely." i smiled, "now, what's that book in your hand?" Noticing the other he was holding on to. 

       he looked down at the action filled cover, "enders game, i went and saw the movie a while back, but i wanted to read the book sooner or later." 

        i smiled and nodded, going back to looking restlessly at the pages of this new book, i went back to the beginning and read the fifth page, "for everyone on the verge of being."

        my mind began to wander, as i let the words sink in. my index finger mindlessly tapped on the book full of beauty and i continued my hopeless daze, glancing over at wynn who sat next to me, eyes deep into his new fascination. i looked towards the front and saw the librarian smiling at us, and i took the time to smile back, she waved and carried on with her reading.  

         in the few moments it took me to fall in love with this delightful book, i've decided that maybe a few good words, a not-so-well-known book shop and wynn, is my way of being, and in truth, I couldn't be more happy.