four

ella

        i didn't like to be around others, i wasn't social, i wasn't into sports nor was i even popular. i liked to be around myself and just think. i remember being 15 years old and just sitting in the corner of my bed and writing about whatever "story" i had thought of, blasting walk the moon from my phone and just overthinking about anything that needed to be thought about. 

        it's a habit of mine, but i don't think of it as a bad habit just something that others find weird, which is fine. 

        but, he didn't find it weird, he loved it. the minute he asked me that question there was just something about him that gave me hope. hope in the sense of not feeling alone anymore and needing to think and over analyze everything, hope to just have fun, and think about what's happening now.

        i was always the one to hope that people would ask me questions that involved what i loved, reading, writing, philosophy and most of all critical thinking. and he always did. i liked to talk about what i was good at, consider it being selfish but no one was ever really interested in what i liked. every one was into makeup and parties and alcohol, not "what would a fair society be like?" or "what is the meaning of life?"

        nonetheless, i am hear sitting across from a boy who likes black coffee and does in fact judge a book by its cover, good thing he's cute. 

        i eye him up and down as he's reminiscing the world from outside the glass window, his eyes were filled with interest as he takes little glances here and there, trying to notice everything that's happening. there was chatter from every room and every corner in la colombe along with the lingering scent of several chai tea lattes and numerous amounts of crumb cake. it was nice, this whole environment of different people running in and out from the rain storm outside and just listening to the slightly weird conversations happening from beside us.

        people watching. 

        yet another one of my many habits, i thought to myself, but of all people, he chose me to create this ridiculous conversation with, and so i settle on the thought for a while, assuming that maybe he was in the midst of people watching and i just so happened to catch his eye.