seven

ella

        we proceeded the process of talking about our likes and dislikes and our habits, so far i've found that he likes to travel, but has an issue with not being able to financially move place to place.

        "i mean, travelling the world is a dream, more so a fantasy, but a beautiful one. i just wish it didn't cost so damn much," wynn said, playing with the spoon laid in his coffee.

        "i've been out of new york before, but nowhere special," i said.

        "where too?" 

        "oklahoma, my hometown," i said, smiling at the memories that came flooding back, "i moved to new york when i was about 12 or 13, i was an only child so it was easy for my parents and i to travel there and see the rest of my family."

        i wrapped my hands around the cup that was steaming before me, warming them up in the process, "i used to have these two huge world maps hung up on my bedroom walls, they were gifts from my grandparents. well, more so my grandfather, he knew travelling was a big thing for me so he gave me his most prized possession. i believe i still have them somewhere in my apartment, now that i think of it."

        looking up, i noticed wynn smiling greatly, "what?" i laughed, "why are you smiling?"

        "because you finally said something about you, like something that was genuine," he stated, grinning from ear to ear, "i've been waiting to hear something like that from you, besides all the small talk."  

        "at least you can finally check something off your bucket list now," i said, he responded with a smile.

wynn

        "can i ask you a question?" i asked

        "go ahead."

        "what do you think of your hands?" i said, lifting mine up and studying them intently.  

        "my hands?" ella asked, giving me a confused look.

        "yeah, i mean, what do you like about them? what do you hate? the pros. the cons, that sort of thing."

        "but, about my hands?"

        i nod, awaiting an answer.

        "well, i guess i like how they seem to be those sort of hands where they just fit right. if i'm holding someone's hand, i feel like mine are able to comfortably fit and look as if they belong. if that makes sense?" she asks and i hum in agreement.

        "i like how they're small, but not too small."

        she lifts her hands up more, opening and closing them, moving them to where her lilac nails faced her. then, she clasps both together, rubbing them to give her warmth.

        "i really hate how they are never warm. throughout high school, my friends would constantly grab my hands and ask why they were so cold all the time, i'd have no clue, so they would hold on till the warmth from their hands were transferred to mine. but, every time, they eventually let go and my hands would go cold again. it's like they just have a never ending flu," she says.

        i laugh at the resemblance, reaching towards her hands and engulfing them into mine, "didn't you have these wrapped around your cup?" i ask, receiving a slight nod in response. "they're still cold," i said, rubbing small circles at the top with my thumb, admiring the way her hands gave off a slight blue color.

        "you know, my dad would say the same thing. why are your hands so cold ella? i'd simply shrug and he'd reach for them, starting with one and placing it between the two of his, giving them warmth. like always, they became cold again, so he told me that maybe my hands are always cold because they are waiting for my soulmate to keep them warm and one day, the warmth of their love will cure the coldness," she said, i smile, reminiscing in the thought.

        "your hands aren't cold cold, right?" i ask.

        "right. they aren't freezing or anything, they just aren't contently warm."

        "oh."

        "but having someone fall in love with me seems like a good idea at the moment," she states.

        "oh, trust me ella, your hands will be warm one day," i say, watching as the sentence seems to give her a little relief.

        i continue to rub her hands, trying to keep them somewhat warm, and i notice the slight blue fading away.

        one day soon.