Amy Wood || However Long the Night

Today's review is long overdue

Today's review is long overdue. I read it while participating in the Wattpairs Mentorship Challenge, and fell so hard in love with it! Amyclg and I recently reconnected as she's begun writing the sequel, and while I was poking around for quotes in the book I ended up getting sucked right back in. So here we are!

However Long the Night is a story about Will, a young man with a strange gift. He can see a number in everyone's eye (including his own!) that essentially tells him when someone is close to death. It seems to work like five lives (five is the highest) and if someone is in an accident and survives their number goes down. Of course, there are a lot more complex layers, but that's the basic gist.

And it's such a cool gist. I remember being enthralled from the very first page, and it was no different this time around! Not only is the premise hella interesting and creative, but it's used so perfectly throughout the narrative. The numbers in the eyes often will twinkle or shine or go dull based on the person's mood and it's such an interesting little tidbit of physical expression in the descriptions of body language and tone. It adds an extra layer to the already stellar writing, and makes for incredibly visceral and realistic characters.

I don't get into a lot of YA these days, and it's nothing against YA I just find myself craving characters that have more life experience and different things to do. However, when a young adult novel brings something fresh to the table, or explores things that I think are important, I get really excited. Basically, when I find a YA book that I want on my shelf for when my kids are old enough to read them. Because I want a badass shelf of healthy thought-provoking books for them to read.

If this one is ever in hard copy, you'd better believe it will be on that shelf.

The weight on Will's shoulders having to deal with knowing when people are dying or close to death... it's intense and horrible and too much for a kid. He's a teenager now, but touches on what it was like as a small child, and I can't even imagine anyone having to go through that let alone a little boy. It's heartbreaking and gives him such depth because it's something he can't ignore, the numbers are always there, staring him in the face. It makes his struggle so compelling and I just want to wrap him in a blanket and snuggle him.

The love story in this book is also incredibly well-crafted. Again, not being a huge reader of most YA, a big part of that is because I get tired of the same old tropes in teen romance. Not to mention some of the toxicity. The romance arc in However Long the Night is sweet, realistic, healthy, and oh-so-heartbreaking, and no I'm not going to tell you why because you need to read it.

Speaking of, I don't want to spoil anything. So you should just go read this book. Amy has crafted a gorgeous tale with great pacing, excellent writing, clear and realistic dialogue for compelling characters, and a super-tight plot from beginning to end. It is a fantastic read and I highly, highly recommend it! Now read the interview with Amy below, because she was so kind to chat with me, and then go read her book! I know I'll be diving into the sequel myself. :) Join me!