Chapter 10

The sun was almost up, I jumped out of bed and jogged to the runners hut. All the packs were there, except one. Thomas must be ready. I grabbed one and ran out, Thomas was standing at the doors. I smiled. I ran as hard as I could toward him. "Morning green bean." I smiled at him, "good morning Josie." he said, laughing. "Are you ready?" I asked. He looked at me like I was crazy, "no we wait until Gally and Newt come out and see us running out." I nodded, "why Newt to?" I ask. he nods, "he got you out of being a runner Jose." I looked down, I knew it. I was disappointed. "There!" He pointed toward the two boys, walking toward the hall. They noticed us, the doors opened slowly. Newt and Gally started running at us, I was scared now. "Josie please don't!" Newt called out. "Ready?!" Asked Thomas I nodded, and we ran into the maze. Gally was yelling at Newt, telling him he can't go out into the maze. I wish he would though. we jogged for a while and stopped at the square. "wow, what a rush!" Thomas said, clapping his hands. We laughed. "Good job green bean!" I patted his back. "Thanks." he looked around, "Will Gally be mad when we return?" I nodded. "Yes, but I had to prove to him this is where I belong." he smiled, we both took off and explored the maze a bit.

About 3 hours passed, we ran, we didn't find anything new, just ran and looked. I was happy, because when I return, I might not have anything, no running, no friends, no Newt. I was scared because I don't want to loose Newt, and I don't want to loose running either. "are we done?" Asked Thomas, "yup, lets go" we took off toward the door, I was scared it won't be open. I held my breath... but it was open. thank god. we jogged in, Gally was there waiting, he was mad. "Hey Gally!" I yelled. No answer. "Hey!" Yelled Thomas. "TO THE HALL!" He yelled, we both flinched. He jogged to the hall where everyone was waiting for us. Everyone smiled at us, happy that we fought against him, Gally walked in and everyone looked down. "Everyone, these two... idiots decided that they would run into the maze without anyone's concent." I looked around, "where's Newt?!?!" I yelled. "Oh Josie just wait." I was mad now. where was Newt. "no now Gally!" Gally looked at me surprised I said that, "outside." I started off toward the door, "goodluck." Gally said, now I'm scared. I ran outside, "Newt?!" I yelled. I saw him sitting at the wall, I ran as hard as I could toward him. "Newt?! Hi!" He looked up at me, then back to the ground. "Newt please?!" I sat beside him, "please Newt, talk to me." he looked at me again, "why did you go?" He was crying, "Newt, I went because running is what I do, I love it." he wiped his eyes, "but do you love me?" I was surprised he'd even ask me this. "Of course I do! Newt you know that." he looked at me, dead In the eyes. "Then why did you go? I asked you not to. I can't loose you." I started to cry, "Newt, I love you so much, you're my everything. If it means so much to you.. I won't run." running meant the world to me, but I would rather have Newt then running, "really?" He asked. "yes, because I love you." I exclaimed. "I love you so much I'd quit what I love to do, just for you." I said, he smiled. "I love you to." he kissed me on the cheek. "JOSIE!" Gally called out for me from across the field. "WE NEED TO VOTE!" I looked at Newt, "he's mad that you left, you broke the rules. we need to vote on a punishment." I jumped up, and walked toward the Hall. "I'm scared." I confessed to Newt. "I'm scared of Gally." Newt looked at me, didn't say anything. We were almost in front of the door when newt grabbed my hand, "I won't let anything happen to you." he smiled at me, "I promise." we walked in, everyone was talking, but when we sat down everyone went silent. "Josie and Thomas?!" Gally yelled. "Front of the hall now." I stood up, Thomas was right behind me, we walked to the front of the dark, hazey room, "Boys, these two decided they would go out into the maze and explore with out anyone's concent." everyone whispered amongst themselves. "so! We need to punish them." Everyone went silent. "Any suggestions?!" Gally yelled. "A night in the maze together!" Someone called out. Gally looked at me, then to Thomas. he smiled. "All in favor?!" Gally yelled out, it echoed in the small hall. "No!" Newt yelled out. "Something else!" Newt looked at me, I thought he might start crying. "ok well let's vote for a night in the maze." people raised there hands, Gally counted, "38!" He yelled, he looked at me and smiled. "Josie? How many boys are there?" I looked at Newt. "40" I say, Gally noddded he turned around, "and one girl!!" I yelled out. Gally slowly turned around and looked at me, "your right, that means every boy voted for one night in the maze except for Thomas and your boyfriend, Newt" he started to walk away again, I hated it when he walked away. "Hes not my boyfriend!" I yelled out, "I mean I don't know." Newt looked at me and quickly looked at Gally, worry in his eyes. "Oh? Okay. So you won't mind not saying goodbye then, because I know, tonight your not gonna survive." Newt flew toward Gally, he tried to get his hands around Gallys neck, but Gally punched him in the face, causing him to fall over. Gally got on top of him and held a knife to his neck. Two boys, Gallys friends came and grabbed me and Thomas, they pushed us outside. Everyone followed us out, the one boy who was holding me had dark black hair and a ripped green shirt on. I've never seen him before. Gally came out, holding newt still. "Punch her!" He yelled out. I tried to get away, but the boy swung at me, punching me right in the eye. "You ass!!" Newt was yelling. I looked over and Thomas was getting the crap beaten out of him. The boy who was holding me punched me a couple more times, I tasted blood, my nose was bleeding and my lip was cut open. Newt was lying on the ground. I couldn't help him. He couldn't help me.