Chap 1. [Day at the Office]

It was a slow day at the Armed Detective Agency in the heat waves of summer. The seaside waves were calm and shimmering in the sunlight.

Dazai lay on one of the couches near the back of the office. The Complete Guide to Suicide was spread across his sleeping face. His long legs were sprawling over the length of the couch, and his bandaged arms were atop his chest as he slept in a cat nap.

Atsushi looked out the window as he spun around in his chair. The shimmering light was enhanced by the mirror that was the sea, making the gray haired male squint his eyes to be able to see the streets below.

Kunikida came pounding through the door and walked over to Dazai on the couch. He slapped his head and the book flew across his face.

Dazai's bright brown eyes were covered by his dark-brown hair, but he was still able to glare at Kunikida while whining. Atsushi glanced over to the two but then continued to look outside.

"We have a mission, blockhead. What did I tell you about sleeping on the job?!"

This was normal to the other members of the agency sitting about the office.

There was always some sort of scuffle between the two detectives; Dazai and Kunikida didn't get along unless working as a pair together.

Dazai sat up and grabbed the red book, closing it and setting it on his lap. He brought his arms up beyond his head and stretched like a cat.

"Well whatcha doing just standing there? Tell me the stupid jobbb"

Kunikida glared down at Dazai, his long blonde hair was held back, but he was so annoyed that it could have practically been standing straight up.

"It's anything but stupid Dazai! The police need our help in figuring out the motives behind a murder. Their own operatives didn't have permission to search the house, as we do."

This caught Atsushi's attention.  He got up from the chair and walked over to the other two guys.

     "...Murder Case?"
Atsushi joined the conversation.

     "Yes.  About 5 miles from here in a standard two story home.  The woman had a husband, and he killed her in cold blood.  We have to investigate to find a motive.."

     Kunikida filled in the rest of the blanks and then gave Dazai a small piece of paper that had the address on it.  Dazai took it in his hand and then put it in his breast pocket.

     "-I want the two of you to go.  If it gets too difficult then call me and I will talk to Ranpo.  Although I am very certain that it won't take long."

     Atsushi stood up straight and looked over at Dazai.  He always got a little excited when he was put on a new mission.

      Sighing, Dazai sat up and started walking towards the front doors. Atsushi followed close behind him as they headed to one of the business cars.

~

Atsushi regretted letting Dazai drive the second he got into the passenger seat. Dazai looked ahead at the road devilishly, then stepped his foot on the gas peddle as hard as he could.

He had already memorized the address. Dazai knew his way around the port city quite well. He knew that this house was in a very populated area.

The car tumbled about as Dazai hit just about every pot hole imaginable. Atsushi gripped onto anything he could as he prayed for dear life.

"Haha, can you imagine?! He didn't even commit a double suicide with her! I mean, he could have at least killed her then kill himself!"
Dazai spat out while gripping the steering wheel tight.

His bandaged neck extended outward as he spoke, and he sat forward in the car seat.

"Y-you're not implying that you would do that, right Dazai?"

The road ahead of them seemed to turn and twist.

"Of course not! I stopped doing that whole killing people thing when I left the Mafia."
His eyes glistened as he smiled with an open mouth. Atsushi started to think that he was a little bit of a sadist.

"Dazai look out!"
Atsushi pointed out the front window.

A brown fence came up to them quicker than they had thought. Dazai pounded the breaks and both the guys flew forward in their seats.

So this is why you wear seatbelts...
Atsushi thought to himself.

Dazai looked over into Atsushis violet and golden eyes. The sun caught his gaze so he squinted.

"We're here!"

~

After Atsushi had made sure that he still had all of his limbs, he made his way over to the driver seat. He looked at the old fence that the car had come mere inches from hitting, then back at Dazai.

Dazai raised his leg out and attempted to get out of the car. He bumped his head on the door as he got out, letting a out small whine.

Atsushi walked up to the steps that led up to the door. It was generally a pretty house: you wouldn't be able to tell a murder had just taken place. There were colorful tulips on the sides of the house with bright red mulch. The house had new deep green siding, and a large wooden door that had been polished.

"Are you sure this is the right house Dazai?"

Atsushi looked behind him to find that Dazai wasn't there.

He panicked for a split moment as he turned his head around looking for the tall man. This wasn't ideal for Atsushi. He had always been a little nervous going on missions, and now he couldn't find his partner.

"D-Dazai?!"
Atsushi was practically yelling.

Suddenly, a tall figure came up behind the smaller male and tackled him. Atsushi let out a blood curdling scream as he fell to the ground. It was hard cement which stung a little.

He stopped screaming when he realized who it was who tackled him. Bright brown eyes looked down at him as Dazai flipped him around.

"D-damnit Osamu!"
Atsushi blushed.

That was really embarrassing. Especially so that he could have defended himself.

Dazai got off him and extended a long hand to Atsushi.

"I'm sorry, but the opportunity was just to great!"

Atsushi looked over at Dazai who was looking back at him sweetly. He sighed, this was going to be a long job.

Atsushi was a little salty at Dazai for scaring him at the home a murder took place in. He sat up and looked down at the door handle.

Slowly, he brought his pale hand down and twisted the handle.

-