Chapter 55

Orange Blossom rolled along the ground before coming to a stop far away. He began to get up, but he was far too weak to stand.

"Alright Langa, let's go!" Reki said. Langa's eyes were wide.

"Reki, you're really good at magic." Langa said.

"I guess." Reki said.

"What do you mean, you guess?! You just fired off two massive explosions back to back. Do you feel dizzy?!" Langa asked. Reki shook his head.

"Anyways, do you need help?" Reki asked.

"I feel really cold, and still dizzy." Langa answered. Reki picked Langa up and gathered the boys' skateboards.

"Langa, I want to try something." Reki said.

"Alright." Langa murmured.

Reki put his skateboard on the ground and stepped up onto it with Langa on his back. It was difficult to find balance, but after a moment, he managed. Then, as he pushed forward, he focused his power into a blast at his foot, and he was shot forward like a gun out of a barrel.

Many of his sore, aching muscles had to tense in order for him not to get flung off the skateboard as it almost flew across the ground. He waited for his speed to die down before doing it again.

It was as though he were surging down the abandoned mine of "S", but he was on perfectly flat ground.

He was able to travel far faster than before, only he had no time to look around for incoming danger.

In the distance, he saw a tiny geological formation, nothing like the titanic monoliths he had seen prior. As he skated near it, he saw it was a jumble of rocks and small boulders. He put Langa down on the ground upon stopping nearby.

"Alright, Langa, I know you're not feeling well, but uh, try to sleep!" Reki said, holding a thumbs up. Langa groaned in response.

"But it's rocky." He complained. Reki laughed.

"I know, I know." He said, then he recalled.

"Wait, I know, there was a time like this back in the...normal... magic world. I sat on your lap and it was super comfy!" Reki said. Langa shook his head.

"No, Reki, you don't have t-" But it was too late, Reki was already sitting criss cross and placed Langa in his lap. He had a wide grin on his face. Then, he grabbed Langa's cheeks and stretched them out.

"Go. To. Sleep." He said in Langa's ear. Langa sighed.

"Fine."

And so, he rested his head back, and began to settle into warm, somewhat comfortable sleep.

Reki's eyes were wide open, even though his eyelids were heavy. He took a deep breath, following Langa's example to recover his magical power.

More hours drifted by. Reki wondered how many had passed, and how many he still had to fight through in order to get through this challenge.

His mind began to drift ever so slightly, but he made sure to never lose consciousness.

This wasn't even the final event. What in the world would that be? Reki hoped it was something that wouldn't kill him right away. Or, if it did, he hoped it wouldn't be an agonizing death.

Most of all, he hoped he was first, he didn't want to have to see Langa die.

Langa's head rested back, and his chest was rising and falling steadily.

He got nervous as he heard the sounds of distant movement, giant monsters prowling in the distance. Occasionally, he would even see them, but they didn't seem to take notice of Reki and Langa. It seemed the rocks provided that bit of shelter the two needed.

But, eventually, he heard something else. This sound was entirely different.

It was footsteps, from something far too small to be any of the abominations. Then, Reki's eyes widened. He looked down at Langa in his lap and sighed. He tapped the side of Langa's face with his palm until his eyes fluttered open.

"Huh?" He asked.

"Shhh, someone's coming." Reki whispered. Langa nodded and got off of Reki's lap.

Reki had to suppress a groan as his circulation rapidly opened up, causing tingling pain to explode through his legs.

"So, how'd you sleep?" Reki asked quietly.

"Alright, I'm not dizzy anymore." Langa answered with a smile.

"Good." Reki replied. Then, Langa leapt to his feet and climbed atop the boulder.

"Who's there!" He shouted.

Then, he saw who it was, and his stomach dropped.

Standing there was Midnight, with his metal mace in hand. Upon seeing Langa, a wide, wicked smile crept across his face.