Chapter 59

Eventually the tea had fully steeped and everyone began drinking it. The tea tasted mildly bitter with hints of lemon. It was very aromatic, and Langa enjoyed it.

"What kind of tea is this?" Langa asked.

"Oh, it's the same I gave to Orange Blossom." Jonas answered.

Eventually, all of the pastries were ready as well. It appeared that Jonas had made good use of the several hours that Langa had been unconscious.

On the coffee table were loaves of brioche, tiny tarts, chocolate cupcakes, and cinnamon rolls. Some of the tarts glowed with light and the cinnamon rolls contained hints of unfamiliar flavors.

Eventually, Reki's eyes began to flutter open once again.

"Don't worry Reki, we're in the same spot as before." Langa said.

"Oh, right, I woke up." Reki said.

"How are you feeling?" Jonas asked.

"Dizzy, and, why is it so hot in here?" Reki asked. Langa glanced to Jonas with a look of confusion.

"It isn't, Reki." Langa said.

"Well, it feels like it is." Reki said, taking off his fingerless gloves.

Langa glanced towards Reki's tea and held out his hand towards it. A few ice cubes instantly appeared within it. Langa picked it up off the table and handed it to Reki.

"Drink this. Jonas, if you've got more water, give me some, and I can make it cold." Langa said, Jonas nodded in response.

Eventually, Reki was feeling better from the continuous cold water he was given.

"Alright, still feel too warm, but better." Reki said.

"This isn't too dissimilar to what happened to me. After I overused my magic, I felt really cold." Langa said.

"Yeah, I had to bury you underneath several blankets, and you were still shivering. Man, this sucks, how do you use so much magic all the time?" Reki wondered. Langa laughed.

"I've gotten used to it. Besides, you were always right there every time it happened." Langa said.

Reki ate a cupcake before immediately and ravenously moving on to all the other food that was there.

"Oh that's right, you two haven't eaten anything since before the competition, I'll go prepare some more food!" Jonas said.

Eventually, Jonas had more pastries ready.

The four talked about how they had survived the previous competitions. Jonas and Orange Blossom had apparently worked together in the first challenge. Apparently, Jonas had to bust his way out of a worm's stomach.

Orange Blossom had simply been too fast for any worms to catch him, and he had cut any that tried.

Then, the party was over, and Jonas opened the door. Thankfully, Langa was able to get Reki back to their room in about half an hour.

Reki immediately threw off his socks and hoodie. Langa put his hand on Reki's head, channeling magic to make it feel almost icy cold.

What would usually feel uncomfortable felt welcome for Reki. Everywhere felt like a sauna, and Langa's hand on his forehead felt like a cool breeze.

After a few hours, the feeling gradually faded and the two boys went to dinner before finally going to bed and getting proper sleep.

The next day, Reki had to go to the Wishgiver to get help in healing all the bruises he had acquired. It turned out healing was one of the the Wisghiver's many magical powers.

"Wow, that guy can do anything." Reki said.

"I know. So, what do you wanna do today?" Langa asked.

"I wanna just relax, I still feel tired." Reki said.

And so, Langa stayed by Reki's side as he gradually slept out the exhaustion of the challenge.

"Thank you, for saving my life more times than I can count back in that competition." Langa said.

"You're welcome." Reki murmured.

"I've never seen you so tired. Do you think you'll be up for more exciting things tomorrow?" Langa asked. Reki nodded.

"Sure, but we don't have our skateboards." Reki said. Langa's eyes widened.

For the first time in several months, the boys hadn't had their skateboards. How had Langa not noticed?

He decided to put the worry behind him, and instead worry about what they would do to pass the time the next day.