Ghosts?

Julie sat at the table doing homework when her dad came rushing down the stairs.

"Oh good, you're home," he said, coming over to her. She quickly shut her notebook before looking at him. "I was about to go watch your brother's game. I've had photo shoots all day. Didn't even get a chance to eat. But," he said, ignoring the look that Julie gave him. "I got a phone call today."

"Yeah," Julie sighed, dejectedly, placing her glasses on the table. "I figured as much."

"Yeah," her dad sat down in front of her, rubbing her hands together. "Well, it was my Realtor friend."

"Oh!" Julie exclaimed relieved. "That."

"Yeah, she said if we're serious about selling the house, then she wants me to take some pictures for the website. Which means we need to do a lot of cleaning and get rid of some stuff. And maybe, you can tackle Mom's studio?" he asked tentatively as Julie looked away. "You're the expert. You know, your and brother and I wouldn't even know where to begin," he said softly as Julie sighed. "It's OK, honey. If you're not ready, I-"

"No," Julie interjected, looking at her father again. "It's all right. Maybe I'll try tonight."

"Yeah? Awesome, mija. Thank you. Oh," he said, pointing a finger at her. "And don't forget the loft. You know, those old instruments that were there when we moved in?" Julie nodded. "They need a new home."

"Mom would like that." Julie smiled softly.

"Yeah, she would," agreed Julie's dad. He looked at his watch, checking the time. "Oh God. I'm gonna be late." He frantically searched his pockets for his keys.

"Under the mail," Julie said, chuckling. Her dad turned around, looking.

"You're a lifesaver," he snapped his fingers at her. Julie chuckled and shook her head as he rushed out of the door.

***

Julie walked along the path that led to her family's driveway and garage; her Mom's old studio. She stopped and took a breath before opening the large, white doors that led into the studio.She sighed before flicking on the lights, revealing the leather couch, and the piano that her and her mom used to play at together that was covered in a white sheet.

She walked towards the piano, looking around. She hadn't been in here much after her mom passed away. And if she was in there, it certainly wasn't to play the piano, or any music for that matter. 

Once Julie had reached the piano, she gently pulled off the sheet, revealing the wood grand piano. She softly placed her hands onto the instrument, letting out a shaky exhale. She picked up the music sheets that were on the bench, placing them in front of her. She sat down and looked up, sighing.

Inhaling deeply, she said, "I'm so sorry, Mom. That I haven't been in here." She sat there for a little bit longer before standing up and heading to the loft.

She climbed up the ladder leading to loft and looked around at the instruments that lay scattered there; a guitar case which contained a blue, electric guitar, another guitar case stood behind this once, instead holding a bright red bass, a keyboard that Julie's mom would never let her play, a pair of drumsticks that lay discarded on a small beanbag, and a cd, that on the front read Sunset Curve. 

Julie picked the cd up and climbed back down the ladder. She walked over to the cd player, and inserted the disc. She pressed play and walked over to the leather couch. She sat down, adjusting a tea cup that sat on the coffee table in front of her. A guitar riff started playing as she sat down. Whoever this Sunset Curve is, started to sing, and Julie couldn't lie, they were pretty good.