The Sixth Night

"Ryuunosuke?"

"Yes?"

"How does a vampire go to the dentist?"

"I don't know, how?"

"This is not a joke. I want a genuine answer."

"Well I'm not sure... what is stopping a vampire from going to the dentist?"

"His fangs! How would they explain those? And even if they can retract them, what if they just suddenly go out during the appointment? The dentist would be traumatised, and the best thing the vampire could do is pretend that the dentist has schizophrenia. What else could they do? But maybe if the vampire likes messing with people, they would do it on purpose. But that could also go wrong in many ways..."

"You're stupid, Jinko".

"Thank you, you too".

"Well at least I don't go looking for a reason to be worthy enough to live".

"Well at least I don't go looking for Dazai-san's approval every second".

"Well I'm not weak".

"Well I don't kill people to prove that I have power".

"I'm sorry".

They knew that they were joking, this was childish, there was no need to apologise, but this made Atsushi question if Akutagawa was in his right mind.

It took ages before Atsushi realised that he did not respond.

"Me too. I'm sorry too."

This wasn't an apology for the bickering. It was in general. Sorry for cutting your leg off. Sorry for leaving you to die, on that ship. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry.

___________

They sat by the wall, Atsushi's head on Akutagawa's shoulder, stargazing.

Their hands were only inches apart, and Akutagawa could not take it. He slowly touched his hand to Atsushi's, his heart skipping a beat when Atsushi intertwined their fingers.

"Do you think that the people who refuse to go to the dentist are all vampires?"

"It's possible, Jinko, if we're going by your logic, then yes. But vampires are not real."

"How do you know? Have you never met anyone who just knows too much? Like a old person who has endless stories to tell about their life?"

"Maybe, just maybe there is someone I know."

"From the mafia?"

"Yes".

___________

This night was short. So short that they did not get to hold another conversation before the sun nearly rose, and the pink clouds started to show themselves among the sunrise.

They left with a single 'goodbye', went to the mafia, and the agency, tired but happy, and ready to start another day.

_______________

A/N: idk what this is, but can someone explain the vampire thing...? Like, how DO they go to the dentist..? I have no inspiration so the next chapter will take a few days.