17 | Fear

| 30 Seconds |

     Anxiety ripples through me as I smooth out my dress for the thirteenth time

Anxiety ripples through me as I smooth out my dress for the thirteenth time. The crowd buzzes with chatter as everyone moves around to socialize, meanwhile I stand by myself awkwardly just looking around. Rawlings went off a few minutes ago to find 'drinks' and never came back, so here I am, stuck by myself in the corner of this venue, surrounded by strangers who are all oblivious to the fact that I want to throw up right now. I'm sure I look like a toddler right now; moving around on my feet from nerves. Can you tell I have social anxiety? Yeah, it's bad. So bad that I'm probably about to vomit all over myself in front of everyone.

All the people here seemed to be older, probably late twenties to mid forties. Judging by the way that some of the guys have eyed me and then turned away, I probably was too young to even be here. I've been told I'm mature for my age but apparently not, since I've never been able to attract older guys. Which reminds me— Rawlings was supposed to be helping me find some cute men! And now where is he? Probably finding him some cute women. What a nimrod. Someone remind me why I'm friends with him again? Oh, that's right, because I love him. Yeah well sometimes even that is questionable.

"Ow, shit," a voice curses from behind me. It isn't until then that I realized I stepped on someone's foot. Considering I was wearing heels, you can just imagine how that felt. Oops. "What the hell, man?" I spin around and am met with a pair of electrifying eyes. My heart leaps when I recognize who it is and I smile so wide that I'm sure my eyes looked nonexistent. Ranger's eyes lit up in recognition and he held his arms out, "Ainsley! What the hell dude!"

We hug and I laugh, "What are you doing here, weirdo? Are you stalking me?" With squinted eyes, I poke at his chest accusingly with my pointer finger. A light chuckle escapes his lips before he shakes his head.

"No, a family friend is getting married."

Everyone seems to be friends of the bride or groom. These two must be popular people because there's a crap ton of humans at this wedding. I don't think I even know this many people in general, let alone be able to invite them to my wedding. But I guess that's not saying much for me, since I live a completely different lifestyle.

"I'm gonna be honest, I don't even know who's getting married right now," I blow out an exhausted breath as Ranger and I walk to find a table. We both sat down and I crossed my legs, feeling more comfortable now that I wasn't stranded anymore. The sea of strangers was still swarming around us, but it was less intimidating now that Ranger is here to keep me company.

Some date Rawlings is, man.

Ranger laughs and nods his head, "Judging by the look on your face back there, you probably only knew the person you came with until I came to save you like the damsel you are too." My mouth drops open at his statement. I am not a damsel! How dare him? The audacity men have amazes me, and someday they will choke on it. I know it. The look on my face erupts another laugh from Ranger and I'm left thinking what is so funny? "Oh, and my foot still hurts by the way."