Chapter 15

They took too long. Kei should have tried to get out of the building with Kuroo instead of sitting there waiting for Bokuto. He's managed to chain the door shut using the chains that had restrained Kuroo but it won't hold forever. Kuroo is still unconscious, Kei has moved him into a corner of the room out of sight of the small window. The air reeks of blood and gunsmoke. A body lays near the door, blood pooling around it. Kei crouches beside Kuroo, his gun in his hand. He's just reloaded. He'll fight, he'll fight for as long as it takes to keep Kuroo safe, to finish the mission, and get home.

Kei's leg hurts. There's a bullet in his thigh, his pants wet with his own blood. It's not too bad right now but he might have to tie it off soon if he loses too much blood. He wonders what's taking so long, why hasn't Bokuto come for them yet?

"Moonshine," Kuroo says softly. Kei holds out one hand and Kuroo takes it.

"Can't remember my codename?" He asks. Kuroo chuckles and gives his hand a squeeze.

"I like Moonshine better. Usually makes you blush," Kuroo's gaze drops to his leg. "You're losing too much blood now though, you're pale. Give me your first aid kit."

"We don't have time," Kei can hear them working on the door. He has to keep fighting. Has to protect Kuroo.

"Kei give me some damn bandages before you bleed out. Stop being stubborn," Kuroo grabs the first aid bag that still hangs from Kei's shoulder, he pulls it open and pulls out a bandage.

"We wouldn't be here right now if you hadn't been too stubborn to admit you needed more time to recover." Kei snaps at him.

"How long have you known?" Kuroo tugs Kei's leg closer and examines it. "There's no exit wound." He tears away more of Kei's pant leg and pours some water on the wound to see it better. Kei tries not to let the pain show on his face, he looks at the time on his watch.

"Almost an hour," Kuroo moves his leg again and Kei has to put a hand on his shoulder to keep his balance. He worries that he's hurting him but Kuroo doesn't move away from the touch at all.

"Almost an hour since what?"

"That's how long I've known. I think... I suspected something but I didn't want to think about it before," has it really been such a short amount of time? Kuroo's hands pause and he lifts his head to look into Kei's eyes.

"They sent you in here blind?" He's angry.

"Beam Weapon didn't know until the mission briefing, I figured out who he was because of The Voice."

"Are you alright Moonshine?" Kuroo goes to touch his cheek but stops when he sees that his hands are covered in Kei's blood.

"You're half dead, stop worrying about me."

"I've had worse. I'm going to leave the bullet in for now. I'd probably do more damage digging it out here. I like your legs so I'd rather not cause a bigger scar."

"How are you flirting right now?" Kei feels both exasperated and fond at the same time as he so often does when Kuroo is involved.

"Because you're pretty hot right now. Seriously have you seen yourself? You should definitely wear that outfit at-" Kei cuts him off with a kiss. He keeps it light and short, he's sure that even that must hurt.

"Be quiet," He orders.

"Give me a gun."

"You can't even see."

"I bet I'm still a better shot than you."

"Stop flirting."

"Who says that was flirting?" Kuroo's lips turn up in a pathetic attempt at his Cheshire grin.