chapter 8 - rooftops

Students pour out of classrooms as the school day ends, and I'm pushed along with the current. A year seven drops her bag and traffic abruptly stops as she bends to pick it up. Frustrated, me and some other sixth formers exchange irritated remarks, and the pace slowly builds up again.

Just as I'm about to move, a hand covers my mouth and pulls me into an empty nook in the hallway, out of sight. I stumble onto the body that pulled me back, my hands rest on the wall behind him.

"Woah there, Tommy," newt mumbles as his hands rest on my back, pulling me closer. He lowers his head and rests his forehead on mine. "I missed you today."

I pull back and look straight into his eyes. "Really?" I didn't think he feels that way about me.

He chuckles, "just because our relationship is abnormal, it doesn't mean I don't, really, like you."

"I know, its just..." I fiddle with the collar of his shirt. "I missed you too."

"Come with me," he commands softly, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the little corner and down the almost empty hallway. "I have something I want to show you."

I follow him to the staircase, trying to ignore the way he's holding my hand as we climb to the top floor of the school. He leads me into an empty classroom and shuts the door behind us.

"Is... this where you wanted to show me?" I query, not letting my mind cover the endless scenarios that could play out in here.

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?" A knowing smirk takes over his face, "I'm afraid what I want to show you is completely differrent to what you're thinking of."

I feel a blush rising and look away, fiddling with the bottom of my jacket.

"Follow me." He orders again, but I don't think there's anywhere to go from here. He walks over to a fire escape, leading to a rusty iron staircase. As soon as I step outside a gust of wind pushes newts beanie off, and I catch it, feeling the rough material in the palm of my hand.

I start to move onto the first step, but he stops me. "Not down," he says, "up." Gesturing to an old ladder, paint peeling, revealing layers of rust and decay.

"Up... there? Onto the roof?"

"You're not afraid of heights, are you?" He smiles, a deep reassuring smile, a smile that lets me know he knows what he's doing, that there's nothing to be afraid of. "Come on."

We ascend the steep climb, to a level area, next to a tall chimney, reaching just above my head.

"This is such an old building," I marvel at the chimney, quite homely in such a depressing place like school. "I wonder if this used to be someone's home or something."

"See, that's why I like you." Newt grabs my waist, and pushes me against the chimney. "Everyone else I know, seeing this place, would think about how it would be great for a smoke; but you, you look at the architecture and think about the history of the building." I tuck a strand of hair behind his ear, lingering there before holding the back of his neck.

"Then you may want to choose some better company." My heart jumping out of my chest, I hold him closer.

"Why do you think I met you?"

He didn't leave me enough time to think about what he just said, before crashing his lips against mine. A deep, warm sensation floods through my heart, and my body grows numb. All the houses around us seem to fade away, so that all that is left is him and me, our lost souls finding eachover finally. Seconds feel like hours, and hours seem like seconds, but as we slow to a pace my brain can work in, I pull away to catch my breath.

"You know the note..." I murmur against his cheek, "you said, you could get to me..."

A cheeky grin spreads across his face, "mmm hmm." He hums with a small nod.

"How?"

He kisses me again, strong and powerful, and opens his lips slightly. Trying to speed up the pace, I too open my lips; he reacts to this by pulling away. His smile changes from cheeky to manipulative, "not getting what you want."

He runs his thumb across my lips, before running off and dropping onto the fire escape.

I could run after him, but I stand there in blissful shock. Then sliding down so I'm sitting, and leaning my head against the chimney.