Prologue

"Hey, I've been doing some homework on this kid Tobey Marshall from Mount Kisco. This kid was a phenom. Used to tear up the local circuits. Him and his dad, man, they campaigned like champions. Of course, Mount Kisco had another great, Dino Brewster. You all know Dino. He went on to race in the big leagues at Indy and Tobey just kind of fell through the cracks. Well, here's some news, cretins. Tobey's been running again, and running fast. Real fast, fast as that Grim Taquito will take him. Tobey, you wanna fly with the eagles, you need bigger wings, son. I'm just telling you right now that if Tobey Marshall ever got a car worthy of his talents, he could be toeing the line at DeLeon." Monarch said on his livestream on his own website.

Pete knew that was true, his friend was a good driver and maybe one day, he would win DeLeon, or Pete was 100% sure he would, he felt it. He just had to show the guys that Monarch talked about Tobey. Down in the workshop, his two friends Joe and Finn were working on Tobey's Ford Torino.

"Give me four clicks of compression." Finn said.

"All right."

"No, actually, make it three, no, two, two is perfect." Finn teased.

"You wanna make up your mind, what is it? Two, three, or four?" Joe snapped.

"Exactly." Finn laughed.

"You know I'm gonna hurt you, right?"

"Ok, two." Finn chuckled.

"Thank you." Joe rolled his eyes.

Pete came running down the stairs, holding an Ipad.

"Guys, you gotta check this out." He said and showed them Monarch's livestream.

"...Cretin, go ahead." Monarch said.

"Monarch, this is Darryl from East Orange. Why would you let a redneck trust fund baby into the DeLeon? He doesn't deserve to be in a winner-takes-all race with multi-million-dollar cars! Come on, Monarch!

"Caller? Do I get to talk?" Monarch asked politely, but Darryl kept on talking.

"Darryl, have your parents ever smacked you in the head?  Darryl, just, just... SHUT UP!!!" Monarch raged, Darryl became tip-toe quiet on the spot. 

"Listen to me, Darryl, one important question; Have you ever even driven a race car? That's what I thought." Monarch said and disconnected the call. Then he turned to his facecam.

"let me explain to all you people how this works one more time, ok? This is my race, it's the DeLeon, I created it, It's rarefied air, kids. It's beautiful, I decide who gets in, and who does not get in, ok?"

A bit outside of the workshop Tobey were talking with a guy from the bank.

"Your dad stood the bank very close, he was a customer for it for 30 years, thirty. The bank guy said, then he went in to his Chevrolet Impala and drove away. Tobey entered the workshop.

"Who was that?" Joe asked him.

"Uhm... Just an old customer of my dad." Tobey shrugged.

"I didn't reckognize him." Joe said.

"Yeah... Uhm, he might bring his car in on Friday." Tobey changed topic, he didn't want them to worry, not yet at least.

"What's wrong with it?" Joe asked.