Chapter Seventeen: Queen Cassida of Slerian

Arlyn

After the mud fight, we returned to walking around and, thankfully, Elleanor seemed more inclined toward friendship. Though, I did have a moment of doubt when she threatened to push me into the river as we cleaned the mud off our clothes. The last thing I expected to get through to her was an argument, but I suppose everyone is different. It wasn't even the last debate of the day. She contradicted me over everything and anything, just to fluster me. Then, once she got me to a point I thought only Lansing could get me to, she would lay out that easy smile and say, "I'm teasing. I like that too." or "You're right, it's just funny when you're frustrated."

It wasn't all arguing, however. Elleanor told me about the plants she liked to study, that it was more than a "knack," and the science she was working on was to further the prosperity of agriculture in her land. She spoke of how the plants here reminded her of home, and it had been easing her homesickness. She reminisced about her childhood and her two other sisters whom she loved more than anything. We bonded over having a rebellious younger sibling, hers being a twelve-year-old sister who was named Maeven. I told her about Thea, and a little about Lansing. Finally, we talked about the inevitable.

"You know," I started, stretching out by a log as we shared some bread we bought from the market. Elleanor sat in the dirt beside me fiddling with the bread in her hand.

"Don't say anything," She flaked off some of the crust, "It's useless to say anything."

"It doesn't have to be. I could talk to your father?"

Elleanor offered a sad smile. "We both know you would never do that, Arlyn. There are just some things that come before personal happiness. Especially when war is involved. That would be like me going to your mother and saying, 'Your son doesn't want to marry me because we feel it's creepy. Sorry, better luck next time."

I chuckled; grateful she could see things my way. "I would pay you a lot of money to tell my mother that."

"You couldn't afford me," Elleanor grinned. " I have more money than you do."

"Why do you think I am marrying you?" I said it as a joke, but it had a sting I wasn't prepared for. I don't think she was prepared for it either.

She forced a laugh anyway and shrugged, "Well, at least we're honest. You just want me for my men and money, and I want you for..." She paused, taking the theatrics to their full potential. "Oh, awkward. There is just nothing I desire from you."

I replied, clutching my heart, "So mean."

Alright, fine. So, I liked her. A little.

She rolled her inky eyes and stood up. "Let's get back, they're going to think we've run away to live as forest people."

I stood up, brushing dirt off my pants, "Yeah, right, we wish."

Upon returning to the castle there was a hoard of carriages and a battalion of men standing outside the gates. Each of them wearing maroon livery and gold armor. Their suits were crested with three wasps circling around an embellished crown which circles a tree dripping with what I hoped to be honey. My eyes went to Elleanor, who was back to being the stoic Princess of Cervedia and saw how she scanned the courtyard with my same unease. We both knew who was inside those doors, and, as if things couldn't get any worse, it looked as if she was here to stay.

"Come with me," I whispered, taking Elleanor's hand and pulling her around the back of the castle. It would be easier to walk into a conversation unannounced versus walking up the front steps with forty soldiers at our heels.

We crossed the yard closest to the kitchen, keeping near to the stone walls of the castle so not to be seen. But the bushes were high, and kept snagging on Elleanor's skirt, so we decided to walk out a little way, as if we had been there the whole time. Besides, nothing says "I am ready to rule a kingdom" like sneaking around your own backyard to avoid tea with a royal adversary.