Chapter Eighteen: Unmarked

Lansing

    Monson was leaving at sundown to avoid being seen and to make sure that Thea's wounds didn't worsen throughout the day. He was pretty cut up himself, but it didn't look serious enough to cause a stir. Besides, Monson and I both knew that Thea was the priority. If she had her way, she would stand up, mount her horse, and press on as if her leg wasn't gushing blood. There's nothing more useless and infuriating than an injured leader pretending they're fine. Especially when that leader is Thea.

    Then again, she wasn't pretending she was fine. Thea showed me how shaken she was, how full of doubt and criticism. Her words replayed in my head every time I caught a glimpse of a sword or heard one of the horse's snorts and It occurred to me that Thea wasn't the only one on edge. Monson and I were both tense, stalking around camp like pacing was going to prevent another attack. Out of everything that had happened, there was only one moment when I felt truly afraid, and that was when I heard Thea scream.

    I couldn't see at the time, being blocked by one of the mercenaries, but I heard it as clearly and vividly as if I were hearing it now.  Something in time seemed to stop. I lurched toward it, looked around everywhere for her, but it was more than that. I felt as if I myself had broken a vow. Thea said she felt like she failed her mission, and for some reason, so did I. I knew the moment she was hurt--- it felt like a row of stitches in my skin had been ripped out.

At least now I could breathe and, more importantly, take my own advice. We were safe and there was no danger in our immediate future. Probably.

Monson stopped his pacing and came over to me asking what I saw;  I hadn't realized I was just staring off into the forest. The trees seemed darker on this side of the forest, despite the sun still being high in the sky.  The best I could do was offer a half smile to the scout, "I see a long and difficult road ahead, Monson."

    He seemed to know what I meant, raising that great red eyebrow, "It would be less difficult, Your Highness, if you two would just--" he cut himself off, clearing his throat, "Forgive me, I speak out of turn."

    I chuckled, placing my hand on the top of his shoulder the way my father used to grab mine whenever I apologized for nothing. The action felt strange in my own hand, but it seemed like the appropriate response, "No, my friend, you're right."

    A deep breath followed my words, and I tossed a look over my shoulder to Thea. She was doing small chores, checking horses, and overall being her normal disgruntled self. Except, because she thought no one was looking, I noticed her drop one of her nicer tins of food into Monson's pack and sneak his horse some oats. Dusting her hands off quickly, she walked away like nothing happened. It made me feel like smiling. "Our friendship -- relationship? -- it's complicated."  My gaze returned to Monson who had his lips rolled up into his mouth doubtfully, "But we'll manage just fine."

    "You need to stay together in these woods." He responded, " Not just near one another, but mentally fortified. If you wish, Your Highness, I could speak to her?"

    "It would take a thousand lectures for Thea to even consider treating me civilly." I snorted. However, this response disappointed him and so I added on, "Monson, it's really alright. We're like... family in a way." I said it to appease him, but we both knew that wasn't quite true. Thea was more like a thorn in my side or a song stuck in my head. "What Thea and I are is... It's..."

He nodded.

"You know exactly what it is to care for someone and still not be able to stand them for long periods of time?"

He shook his head. "My family is all I have. I would never let something like annoyance stand between us. Fighting is loud and hurtful. No resolution comes from it...Family does not fight against, but for each other."