Chapter One

An evening bell sounded from the center of a small village hidden away in a thick overgrown forest. Ringing through to all the homes, farmlands, and to the nearby forest the bell alerted everyone that dinner was being prepared and that night would soon fall. Thick grass grew as tall as the huts, torches on doorsteps were aflame but danced with the wind flirting with the threatening darkness. As the sky began to dim, villagers gathered toward the center stone fire pit to eat before the trees above them darkened. 

      Looking in from the surrounding forest to see the villagers gathering, Dren, a small boy from the tribe hurried to where he knew his sister would be. Passing quickly through thickets of tall overarching blades of grass that act as walls for the village, Dren scurried to a nearby tree at the outskirts of the village. On the lowest branch, Dren's sister sat wearing a face heavy with longing as she examined the world that surrounds her home. This was a common face Dren's sister wore, he thought as he peered up at her through the thickets of ivy and grass. The smell of smoke wafted in the air as Dren called up "Elvy, the dinner bell rang we must eat before nightfall we must not stall. The elders will be unhappy again!" There was no response for a few long moments. Elvy's body didn't move. She sat on the branch as if made of stone. Squinting, Dren could make out mists of air dance from her mouth as his sister took breaths. Otherwise, it would seem she had indeed turned into a statue. Dren impatiently shuffled his feet and pulled at his shirt looking around him anxiously. Dren had always been told that to be out of the village after nightfall would undoubtedly end in something terrible. Elvy just sat soaking in the last bit of golden sun that touched the branches she sat on. Dren looked back toward the village center where families had collected one another, and were putting pots of stew on the fire. Cold air began to weave through the forest toward the village and a tickle of fear ignited in Dren's stomach. 

      A thump in front of him caused him to turn around as his sister landed in front of him. Elvy's long bark colored hair swayed as she positioned her feet into a stern stance facing Dren who hadn't been able to hide his panic at her sudden presence because he was distracted by the oncoming howls of the wind creeping through the woodlands. Elvy glared down at her younger brother "you don't have to come and find me every day. I know the rules." Elvy mumbled and walked past Dren with a cold look. This was normal for Dren and Elvy. Elvy who was years older than Dren had not been as informed of the dangers or under the same protection by mother and father as Dren was. She had a more risky adventurous youth that she had seemed to grow accustomed to. He followed close behind hugging his sister's arm and looking around at the darkening forest behind them. Elvy pulled her arm away, forcing Dren to let go and rush to keep up with her. The darkness of the forest seemed to follow them, and the air whistled through the brush. As Dren walked he felt the cold wind seize his back as if the forest reached for him with cold hands. Goosebumps collected on his back crawling to his arms and stiffening his neck. He hastened his pace to match Elvys, his eyes wide and glued to the crackling fire ahead afraid to look back at the darkness that threatened to pull him in. As if any moment he would be pulled away from all that he knew. He struggled to plant his bare feet on the forest floor twisting the moss at his feet between his toes hoping in some small way that they may hold him to the earth if he were to be captured.

       When the meal was cooked, and all the villagers were serving themselves the evening meal around the fire the elders began to discuss the rising incidents of disappearances. Dren's mind distractedly began to focus on the smell of grilled lizard tails that filled the air. He watched as plates full of this season's root vegetables were held out to have meat added in excess. Serving spoons filled with sauces poured utop. Gourds of salt passed between villagers. Quiet smiles and nods could be seen following the exchanges. The elder's voice warped back into a distinguishing string of understandable sentences. People's faces began to unblur, and Dren sat with a plate full of warm food as several villagers wept as they ate. Mothers and fathers held one another, and some held tightly to their children. Tension filled the air. Dren stirred his meal with narrowed eyes. How are people eating, Dren thought. The dark sky was like a bad omen. No one knew if we would be sharing a meal by nightfall tomorrow. Dren's mother patted his back whispering for him to eat up, so Dren began to eat his meal. Slowly chewing. His once favorite dish tasted of nothing at all while he listened to a few village elders quietly discuss the disappearances of 2 more children the days before. Elvy, who was sitting to the left of Dren clenched her fist, as the elders continued. Dren's parents didn't move their eyes from Elvy and him. Eyes filled with worry followed their every move. His mother occasionally brushed her hand on his back lovingly, protectively, worriedly. This experience was normal for Dren. Parents have always stayed close to their children until they stop growing. Dren found it comforting. He felt safe knowing that he had eyes always on him just in case, but the disappearance increasing has even him feeling anxious. Dren grew up hearing stories of children going missing, and the dangers of the forest. But, very few children had gone missing in Dren's past. Only recently have the incidences increased. For Elvy however, the constant watch boiled her blood. Elvy was leaving the fire circle when Dren looked back from his parent's gaze. Elvy was one of several children her age, and many of them Dren believed lived recklessly and did not follow the elder's rules. He thought her foolish. Dren loved his sister, but she always treated him like he understood nothing. Dren felt the opposite. To him, Elvy was the foolish one.

The nightly feast was over. Two young men about Elvy's age poured water onto the fire extinguishing it. Villagers stumbled to their huts in the dark quietly, and very quickly the village was barren of people. All of them hidden in their homes. Elvy was already in her bed as Dren and his father and mother came inside. The parents each gave Elvy and Dren a kiss, but before leaving to their room they stood in the doorway for a long pause to gaze at their children with eyes full of worried love.

Dren tucked himself into bed and began to stare up at the ceiling of his room gazing at the woven tree branches creating the shape of the sleeping space. The clay walls looming over him provided a sense of protection. He tossed and turned and couldn't sleep. Dren thought about the other kids close to his age who had gone missing in the past few days. The two that the elders spoke of had been his friends. At least to the extent children could be friends since the parents kept a watchful eye, and did not allow children alone time with one another worried they may disappear. But the children were around his age, and he had known them in ways of play, and the secret stories about giant black winged creatures that our ancestors fought in the past, stories that the elders would no longer tell but danced in the mouths of the young. Dren shifted in his bed watching the leaves move near the opening of the common room. There was movement however that didn't come from the leaves, and Dren sat up squinting for a better view. It was Elvy creeping out of the entrance of their home. Dren stared at her figure leaving in disbelief. Where was she going? Dren hurriedly stood up and rushed to follow.