Part 1

The team was packing up for the evening. Shift changes were occurring and the firefighters were trying not to smile as Elvis belted out his newest song that he was planning on singing at his week long rock and roll camp. He was ten minutes away from the start of his vacation and he was making the most of it.

"That was a lovely song Elvis!" Penny said patting the dark haired man on his shoulder. Sam cringed inside; while Elvis had admitted he had no feelings for the blond woman standing next to him, he wasn't sure where her feelings fell. "Yes, make sure you enjoy your well deserved vacation," Sam chimed in trying to shake his negative thoughts. 

"I will tell you all about it next week." Elvis replied spinning around with his guitar before stopping suddenly. "Are you guys sure you will be ok with me out for a week though? It has been busy lately." 

"Don't worry Cridlington." Station Officer Steele replied. "I've been informed they are sending a new recruit as a stand in and Boyce is bringing them here tomorrow. Go enjoy your vacation" 

Elvis skipped out of the station and Steele sighed in relief. "Maybe this will be a vacation for all of us" he mumbled quietly as he headed back to his office to pack up for the evening.

Sam and Penny looked at each other and smiled. They knew Station Officer Steele was looking forward to a little peace and quiet with Elvis out. Ellie and Arnold headed upstairs as Sam and Penny dropped by their lockers before heading out. 

"Who do you think they will send?" Penny asked Sam as she grabbed her cell phone and house key. Sam paused in thought "I don't know, maybe Jerry Lee?" 

"He isn't still considered a new recruit is he?" Penny questioned. "I'm not sure Pen." Sam replied closing his locker.

"Maybe you will get lucky and they will send one of your newest fans." Penny said elbowing him in the side as she raised her eyebrows in a suggestive manner. "Ugh don't joke" Sam grumbled. Ever since his movie experience he found more and more women vying for his attention. The problem was there was only one woman he was interested in and he had no idea where he stood with her. 

"Well whoever it is, I am sure Chief Officer Bryce will have them here bright and early in the morning." Sam said as he walked next to the blond down the driveway and leaned on the fence. "I am sure you are right about that" Penny chuckled smiling back at Sam before giving him a small wave and heading towards her cottage.

Sam watched her go. He could never fully admit it to himself but he hated this part of his day when he headed back to his empty house all alone. Yep Sam realized at 33 he was a little lonely. The job was amazing and he wouldn't give it up for the world, but he started wondering when the loneliness would subside. Sighing he decided to go check on his brother and his family. Maybe that could distract him for a bit. He glanced one more time in the direction Penny had left before heading to his brother's place.  

"Hey Sam" Charlie greeted his older brother as he walked in the door "What's up?" he asked. "Oh nothing much Charlie," Sam replied taking a seat next to his brother. "Elvis is off for his rock and roll vacation tomorrow, and we will have a new recruit coming."

"You worried a certain someone may be interested in him?" Charlie asked. Sam's breath caught and he paused for a moment. "Why would I be worried?" "Come on Sam," Charlie said "you have been mooning over Penny for so long, when are you going to admit your feelings for her? We've had this conversation more than once. It may be time for you to have it with her instead of me." 

Sam sighed. "You are probably right, but I don't want to ruin what I do have with her. After all, if she doesn't feel the same way I may push her away." Charlie just shook his head. "Sam, I swear; talk to her. I guarantee she feels the same." 

"I know, I know" Sam responded then smiled as the twins came bouncing over to the two men dropping the conversation.

*****

Sam turned to walk up the driveway to the station and smiled as he saw Penny approaching. "Good morning Pen!" he called out. "Morning Sam!" she cheerfully replied. The two walked into the station stopping at their lockers briefly before heading upstairs to check on Arnold and Ellie. They found the two younger firefighters in the kitchen drinking tea. 

"Good morning Penny and Sam" they both called out as Sam joined them at the table while Penny headed to the kettle on the stove. "How was the night shift?" Sam asked. "Quiet" Arnold replied while Ellie yawned for her response. "We spent most of the night trying to figure out who the new firefighter will be."

"I'm sure we will know soon." Penny responded bringing back two cuppas and handing one to Sam before taking the seat next to him. "Hopefully he will be young, single and good looking. " Ellie replied laughing and smirking at the men's discomfort. Penny tried to suppress her giggle before turning to Sam. "Well you never know Ellie, but I'm sure an older man would be more my style," she said blushing slightly. Sam's heart hammered in his chest. Did Penny really just say that? 

Ellie simply rolled her eyes replying "Oh yes I am sure a 50 year old is more your style." "You know perfectly well he doesn't need to be that much older than I am" Penny mumbled as she took a sip and glared at the other woman. The two locked eyes and Arnold looked at Sam confused. Sam shrugged. 

Luckily the focus changed as the sound of an engine appeared in the background. Arnold went and peered out the window. "Looks like the new recruit is here, but I can't see who it is," he responded.

"Let's head downstairs and greet them team." Sam declared standing and grabbing Penny's mug before placing both in the sink. Penny gave him a bright smile of thanks and Sam found himself smiling back at her. 

The firefighters headed downstairs and heard Steele and Boyce's voices. "Ah good morning troops." Steele greeted them cheerfully. "Morning sir" they replied standing at attention. "At ease" Boyce responded pausing a moment while the team relaxed. "I would like to introduce you to your temporary help, just graduated from Cardiff" he said motioning to a figure standing behind Jupiter.

"Meet Esmerelda, Chief Officer Cooke's niece." Boyce said indicating the woman that stepped into their view. The firefighters blinked in surprise at the tall, skinny woman in front of them. She was young with gold jewelry glittering in her ears and on her fingers. Her bleach blond hair hung lose is long curls that went past her shoulders. She had manicured  hands and plenty of makeup on. Not to mention the fire station polo seemed to be a size or two too small for her figure, or at least worn in a way to be more seductive then should be appropriate for work. She seemed to look more prepared for a date than a shift at a fire station. Sam noticed the woman's bright blue eyes scanned the crew before she focused intently on his own. 

"Nice to meet you Esmerelda" Penny responded first offering her hand. Esmerelda barely glanced at Penny before taking a step towards Sam and grabbing his hand and shaking it.  "I'm so pleased to meet you all," she said with a bubbly tone. Steel and Boyce had missed the entire exchange as they were deep in their own conversation, but Ellie and Arnold did not look thrilled at her dismissive response towards Penny and Sam found himself frowning at the woman's rude behavior as he pulled his hand away. 

Just who is this new recruit? he thought.

To be continued......