CHAPTER- 5: IT'S MIDNIGHT CINDERELLA

First day after marriage at Arthur Mansion was an amazing experience for Jessica. She received abundance of love, care and attention from all the members of the Arthur family. That was very overwhelming for Jessica. The welcome party for the bride and groom added extra flavors in the tasteless life of Jessica and Ron. Another feather was added when Alexander's father announced a job for Ron in their company, and a new house in the city. Ron will leave for his new house immediately after the party. He was super excited to start a job for the first time ever in his life. Everything was just like any fairy tale.

"I wish the midnight bell never rings in my story." Jessica thought.

Jessica was waiting in her room for Alexander. The room was magnificent. A huge king size bed with silk bed covers, Persian carpet covered every inch of the oak wood floor. A study table at the bedside, wall cabinets, a showcase full of books from all over the world and a rocking chair neatly placed in front of the fire place. Jessica walked towards the huge Victorian windows and removed the heavy curtains aside and looked outside. The orchards, the pool and the garden looked still and quite, only the night lamps were twinkling all around with pride. Jessica stretched her eyes as far as possible. But only the silhouette of the hills and the fern trees were visible at this hour. Just then she heard a knock on the door. Alexander stood smiling.

He said sitting on the bed "how was your day Mrs. Arthur?"

Jessica smiled and walked towards her husband in baby steps.

"Good. What else can I say? I got everything, more than I deserved or I have ever expected from my life." Jessica replied with her eyes on the floor.

"Jessica now it's time you have to take the responsibilities, being a part of the Arthur family. Forget about everything in your life before marriage. Now you are Mrs. Arthur." Alexander said looking straight into Jessica's eyes.

Jessica's face turned white. She stared at Alexander with blank expressions. She said "what do I have to do?"

"You have to do what every woman did after being a part of this family." A naughty smile played all over Alexander's face.

That made Jessica more nervous and petrified. Alexander took out an old brown envelope from the drawer of the study table and held it to Jessica.

"All you have to do is read" he smiled.

"What is this?" Jessica asked in confusion.

Jessica took out a bundle of paper stapled together from the envelope. The papers looked very old. Alexander asked her to go ahead and read.

Fifteen minutes later she looked up to her husband. Small droplets of sweat gathered on her small forehead.

"Why are so tensed? Well... I know you didn't understand anything. That's why I am here. Come closer I'll explain."

Alexander began "so basically it's a deed for all the new Managing Directors of our company. This was prepared by my grandfather's dad. The deliberation behind this deed was to make the new MDs more responsible for their duties. My grandfather did, my dad did and now it's my turn."

Alexander walked up to the rocking chair and continued "not all the pages are for you. I will only explain the main point of the whole deed to you in a much easier way."

" So it goes like this, once the active Managing Director reaches his or hers retirement age, the son or daughter of that person takes over the position as a new MD of the company, but, the ownership is officially withheld until the new MD gets married and his or her son or daughter is born. Henceforth it concludes, I will officially and legally own this company the day when my son or daughter is born."