Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Johny

Six weeks had gone by since I first came home from the hospital, and things still did not feel right. People say that when you are close to death you see your whole life flash before your eyes. I saw nothing but a pair of hazel eyes. Then it all went black. I saw her continuously. She kept me sane until I woke up, three weeks later, in a hospital room. Doctors said I was probably fabricating her as a coping mechanism, people see all kinds of things when in a coma, but I swore she was too real for me to be making her up.

She had light brown hair, the kind that curls slightly at the ends. Beautiful hazel eyes that made me feel safe every time I saw her, a perfect smile, and God, those gorgeous freckles that painted her face the way the stars paint the sky. I was unconscious, so the timing was a complete blur, but I suppose I started seeing her a little after the accident. She would be on my mind all the time, smiling, or just sitting there as we watched a sunset. I know nobody believed me, but she was the reason I woke up.

One day, I saw her standing at the end of a road, and I felt an immense urge to run towards her. I ran, as hard as I could, but no matter how much I tried, I could not get to her. I stopped for a second, put my hands on my knees, and when I was ready to give up, she turned around and looked at me.

"Johny."

Those words left her mouth and hit me like a bucket of cold water. I opened my eyes and felt as if I had just woken up from a six-hour nap. I had no broken bones, no injuries apart from some bruises, and an immense headache. I could not talk or move my body at first. Everything was too confusing. A woman, who I later learned was my mother, was sitting next to me when I woke up. She started screaming and crying, as my eyes slowly shut against my will. I woke up three hours later, just as confused, in a room filled with people I could not recognize. I do not remember much after that, I looked everywhere desperately, trying to find the girl I had been dreaming about, but she was not there.

The next weeks consisted of much sleeping and slowly learning to be a functioning human being again. When I first managed to get some words out, I wanted answers.

"We knew this was a risk, but as long as you're alive your memory is not important"

I stared at my mom, wishing she had more to say.

"I-I do not"

"Shh, I know." She said, covering my mouth with her finger.

"You had a bad accident, and part of your memory is gone. But don't worry, I promise I'll explain everything, honey."