Before

TW: homophobia, divorce, cursing, sexual innuendo, slurs, mention of alcoholism

Virgil finally had a moment to himself. When you're alone and at peace, the only thing to do is dwell on memories.

All memories.

~Logan Flores~

I never knew my older brother. I knew his name. I knew his face. But I never knew his personality.

Nico.

My parents always thought studying and work was more important than family. Living under the same roof was very different from living in the same home. I only ever really saw him at Christmas and the day he left for college. I wish I got to know him better. Now, he's in California becoming a songwriter. I heard he's coming back to live with his boyfriend, but I only wish to know what it would be like if he would have been in my life earlier.

My separation from my brother wasn't the only problem in my life.

My parents were homophobic, and if that wasn't difficult enough to overcome, my mom was anti-meta. Both of which I couldn't control.

I didn't come out until I was in college, but it's a lot easier to stay in the metaphorical closet than it is to hide powers. That is especially true when you wake up several feet off the ground one morning.

"Don't panic," I kept telling myself. "This... this is fine. It's just another part of myself I have to hide." When my... emotions failed to quell, I attempted to force myself to relax. "Calm down. Just... just calm—" and suddenly I was plummeting back down to my bed.

After a moment of regaining composure, a light knocking sounded from my door followed by a soft "Logan? I-I heard a noise. Your, um, your mother's out, so I took it upon myself to check. Are... are you okay?"

My father and I experimented with my powers, in secret, obviously. During this time, I discovered that my father had powers as well. I can't recall what they are, just that they aren't difficult to hide. I eventually figured out how to control my powers. They're tied to my emotions, most are.

I've been keeping my emotions in check for years. What's a little more responsibility?

Getting through college was one of the most difficult challenges I have ever faced. I had to keep my stress levels minimal so as to not reveal my status as a meta. The college I attended was strictly anti-meta. However, that is no surprise. It was also one of the highest prestige schools in the country, and there was no way I was giving up this opportunity.

I got away with it for almost my entire time in college as the meta detectors were only calibrated to sound if one was actively using their powers, which that, at least, was something I could subdue.

Then, they installed the higher quality meta detectors.

The new detectors could identify if you were a meta, even if you never used your powers. That singled me out immediately. I was kicked out and moved back home.

I could've easily bought an apartment, but my mother shoved her unnecessarily expansive mansion onto me at the last second.

I despise this home. Everything about it, I can't stand. The memories, especially, but I felt an emotional attachment to it. Not to mention, it is located perfectly for me.

My boyfriend can't move in for unrelated reasons.

~Roman Caldwell~

My mom always told us it was like we shared one brain. Remus and me, that is. I don't know if that was a compliment or not, but we always agreed with her.