Chapter 9

"I can't believe I got the stupid assignment to find that freak," Zora told Katrina, groaning.

"Well, you aren't exactly physically able to do the other assignment," Katrina pointed out.

"I've had five years to figure this out, which I've done. I'm pretty much a pro at this," she protested, levitating higher to show her skill.

Zora was using a gadget which must have been created by a technopath. It allowed her to be in a standing position and levitate the platform that her legs were secured onto.

"Yeah, well certain things you just can't do," reminded Katrina.

Zora huffed.

The two neared a clearing, which had what looked like a human's fire that was recently put out, still smoking.

"Oh, just some pathetic human," Zora concluded, glancing around as if she were checking for a human.

"They aren't 'pathetic.' You know that, right?"

"Yeah, sure whatever."

"Look, I'm your partner for this so we need to try to work together. Please?"

"Fine. So what do we do now? This was the only lead we have on him. The guy didn't even show up to Exillium for more than a week. And the Councillor only just assigned us to work on it. I say we declare him dead and move on. What do you think?"

Interesting. So they were looking for him. At least were supposed to. It wouldn't surprise him if Zora decided she didn't want to bother finding the disappearing Cullen Foster.

"Are you seriously stupid?! We can't just lie to the whole world. That's not right."

"The Neverseen did. And they almost got away with it. No one even bothered to find Sophie Foster and Dex Dizznee. And obviously his family doesn't care enough to find him otherwise they would have tried at least once. They. Don't. Care. Okay?"

He moved back from the trees he was using to hide behind. The moment he heard them he had already hidden in case of another human.

Interesting though how the Neverseen bothered to find his mom when no one else did. But whatever. That was resolved a while ago, even if it was only him present.

"Even if they don't care, shouldn't we? We were in class with him---"

"Are you forgetting what he did to me?! Why would I want to find him and bring him back to the Lost Cities!?" Zora yelled.

Katrina was quiet, which Zora took as confirmation that she was right, not Katrina.

"Now, let's go."

Zora held up a crystal, letting it catch the light.

"Katrina, we're going," Zora told her, rolling her eyes. "Oh, and work up some tears. We have to make it seem as real as we can. The story is that we found him, dead, from a little fire he tried to make, copying the humans. Then, they won't be able to find remains because there won't be any remains. I know it sounds a bad, but it'll get better and they'll get over it. Plus, they have another kid to worry about. They can just---"

Orphelin . . . of course she would be the perfect single child then. After that, Cullen Foster would only be a broken fragment of their minds. One that no one cared to repair.

"DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND HOW CRUEL THAT IS?" Katrina yelled, unintentionally causing lightning bolts to spark around her.

"Woah, chill out!" Zora responded, dropping the crystal in her hand as she moved backwards, trying to avoid the lightning.

His eyes immediately focused on the small crystal on the ground, darting between the girls.

Katrina took a deep breath in and out, making the lightning disappear.

"Why did I have to get put on a team with her?" Katrina wondered aloud.

"Hey!" Zora protested.

"We aren't leaving until we check this place properly."

Zora rolled her eyes, levitating up so she could check if there was anyone from the sky.

"There might be a human! You can't let them see you," Katrina told her.

"I'm just checking," Zora responded, ignoring her warning.

Glancing back at the crystal, he knew what he had to do. That was his only way back to, well, wherever that was. Either way, it got him away from the prying eyes of the Council and their followers.

"Zora!" Katrina shouted, her voice changing to a happy and nervous tone at the same time.

"What is it now?" Zora wondered, levitating down. "If you say . . . "

She stopped talking when she saw Cullen Foster standing right in front of Katrina, holding their crystal.

"Nice to see you again, Zora," he told her, channelling a calm demeanor.

Zora gritted her teeth. "Wish I could say the same."

He was wearing a light blue tunic and a dark blue pants. His hair was messy but looked like it had been brushed recently.

He tightened his grip on the crystal, making sure she couldn't grab it.

He felt more confident. The boy was still kind of scrawny but was probably taller than Zora now and was a little stronger, thanks to the struggles of banishment.

"So . . . how are you doing?" Katrina asked quiety.

"Perfectly well," Cullen responded, carefully moving the crystal  in his hand so that he could swiftly bring it up to the light if necessary.

"Couldn't help but here you conversation . . . ," Cullen cocked his head, pretending to try to remember. If he kept this act up, she wouldn't try to intemidate him. "Pathetic humans, I believe?"

Zora floated back. It was a very small movement, but the whole levation thing caused her to move back a lot more than he guessed she would have.

"Are you afraid of me?" he wondered.

The question seemed to catch Zora off guard.

"Why is it so hard for people to understand the word 'accident?' Look, it's not like I wanted to deal with the Council and their stupid Tribunals."

Zora regained her normal self, retorting, "It's obvious you can't handle your own powers."

Cullen clinched his fists.

"Look, we need to bring you home," Katrina said, stepping in front of Zora.

Cullen focused on Katrina and the girl's hand, which looked ready to stop Cullen from doing something if necessary.

So she really didn't trust him. Somehow, he didn't expect that. But he should have. It was not like he had a good relationship with the Charger. Their parents' friendships were the only association.

Cullen started to walk away, keeping his eyes of both girls, watching their movements.

"Don't leave," Katrina demanded.

"Why not? This conversation is done anyway."

Cullen pulled a crystal out of his pocket, which was different from the one he stole from them.

"Cullen, don't you dare," warned Katrina.

He let the crystal catch a beam of light, stepping into it.

Katrina lunged to grab him and Zora gave him the nastiest glare.

But Cullen was already being swept into the light.

When it glimmered into view, he saw the same place he had left a long while ago.

Cullen smirked. "Miss me that bad?"