II

The thumping sounds on the outside of Erwin's door woke him instantly. He, like the majority of the scouts, was a very light sleeper. Living in fear most days, many failed to switch off at night as well. In fact, for the most part, it became such routine to live off four hours sleep that it was not uncommon for a newer cadet to develop chronic disorders and have to be retired from the corps. It was well known that one could spot a scout merely by the size of their eye bags. Erwin was no exception.

Stepping out of bed, he grabbed a shirt off the back of a chair and tugging it over his shoulders, crossed the room to the door. He gently pulled it open.

"It's three in the mornin-" He paused, "Levi?"

Levi stood swaying a little on the spot. He raised his eyes to glare Erwin directly in the face. Momentarily speechless, Erwin glanced down at Levi's hands. There was so much blood. Why was there so much blood?

"Levi-"

Levi pushed him backwards, leaving two perfect hand marks on Erwin's white shirt. He pushed him again, this time hitting him harder and Erwin took a step back. Levi knocked him with his shoulder as he walked into Erwin's room, sending a jolt of pain up his arm.

"If your brilliant plans are so brilliant, how come they never work, huh?" Levi had his arms out as though he were conducting an orchestra. His words came out somewhat conjoined. "I follow your every command. Drop to my knee in a heartbeat and they always bloody FAIL!"

"Levi. Calm down-"

Levi burst into laughter

"Are you- drunk?"

"Are you not?" He brought his hands up and ran his fingers through his hair, making it stick to itself, sleeked back across his scalp. "Do you even REALISE how many people die, because of you.

"Levi. Please." He fetched a small glass down from one of the shelves and ran the tap, filling it up. Whilst in the kitchen, he lifted his open flask and subtly placed it in one of the higher cupboards. He extended the glass of water to Levi. Levi took it.

"Answer my question, Erwin." He swilled the water around, spilling half onto the floor. Erwin noticed his knuckles turn white around the glass. "Do. You. Not. CARE!"

"Quiet." Erwin warned.

"They died because of YOU!" Levi raised his hand and threw the glass past Erwin and at the wall sending water and shards everywhere.

"LEVI!" His voice thundered. Levi flinched. "I care about EVERY SINGLE LIFE that is put at risk in those missions. EVERY last one!"

"No you DON'T!"

Erwin moved towards Levi, slowly backing him into the wall. The blood rushing to his head made him hot and a small vain was visible on the side of his forehead. He raised a large hand and slammed the back of it across Levi's face sending him sprawling into the wall.
"You are nothing but a stray animal, Levi. I RAISED you, you UNGRATEFUL little shit. He brought up his other hand and struck Levi again. This time, Levi slid down the wall, scraping his back and arms as they traveled along the sharp stone, tearing through his clothes. Erwin exhaled forcefully and began to pace back and forth before eventually placing both of his hands up above the doorframe, leaning against the structure. He closed his eyes.

Behind him, a single tear slid down Levi's cheek.