CHAPTER 5: DECEMBER 24TH. 11:00 AM.

River's POV

It's been a week since I last saw Alexis. David promised me that the family court had looked thoroughly into Victoria but I'm still hesitant about the whole thing. Apart from a few brief conversations, I know nothing about the woman. I guess it's what's best for Lex. Lex. God, I hope she's not still mad at me. When I took her to the airport that afternoon, she refused to look at me. She looked royally pissed and I felt like a complete traitor.

"I promise we will always be together. Forever." I caressed her hair and kissed her cheek after tucking her in.

I broke my promise. The air plane shakes as it lands on the runaway. I grip tightly the arm rest. Fucking planes. The window lets the cloudy weather come into view. Yay. Seattle. This plane is packed. It's Christmas dumbass, families coming together, all the happy bullshit... Yeah right family. Alexis is my only family. So here I am, in Seattle; automatic pilot on because all I can think about is all the shit I've fucked up. Please don't hate me.

After picking up my -fake- leather bag in the baggage reclaim -which was unnecessary but Victoria insisted to check-in my baggage – I head towards the doors where she is supposed to be waiting for me. Instead of finding her I encounter a tall man in his 40's holding a sign with my name on it. Her husband Michael? Huh. Stopping I scan his face. He looks oddly similar to Keanu Reeves. Handsome. Nice catch Victoria. I approach him and his smile broadens.

"I thought Victoria was going to pick me up." People around us are hugging and kissing their long awaited loved-ones. I frown.

"I'm Mike, we haven't met. Victoria doesn't talk about me a lot, I'm just her trophy husband." He tries to crack a joke. I give him a blank stare.

"Nice to meet you. "I say indifferently looking around me. I wish I was like them. We're surrounded by happy families reuniting, the contrast is so apparent. He clears his throat.

"Shall we head to the carriage?" He signals to the door that leads outside in a very old-fashion manner. The gesture reminds me of my dad, of him playing princesses with me. Empty cups of tea, tiaras, me dressed in a pink gown, him using the words: milady, shall we, my honor... A strong feeling of nostalgia fills my chest and I try to shove it, shove it, shove it down until it can't be found anymore. I hate memories. if I could erase everything that's happened to me, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't care if they're happy things, they're just a reminder of what I've lost, of what I'll never get back, of what I could've had.

"Sure"

The walk to the parking lot is quiet. I'm not unnerved by the silence. Really, I enjoy being in my thoughts, even though they aren't that positive. I just... it feels like me, thinking.

When we approach a classic black car, him taking out the keys from his coat, I let out a whistle.

"Nice ride." A big broad grin in my face." FerrariDino 246/GT." I swipe my fingertips lightly through the soft hood. My eyesnever leaving the absolute gem in front of me. "I take it's a family relicbecause this car is expensive as shit." I look up at Mike. I'm sure my eyes areglowing. "Not that you look poor." He laughs. I smile back.

"Actually, yes. But it's my son's car now. He fixed it. I don't have any clue what he did. I'm not really into cars." He shrugs. I eye him skeptically. Who is not into these types of cars? He opens the door and hops on. I follow suit. The interior smells like vanilla and soap. Huh, weird combo. Like it though.

"I see you know your way around classic cars. Where do you get that from?" His question takes me out of my mesmerized state. The engine starts -and it gets better, nice engine-. I stay quiet thinking about his question. As we back out of the parking lot I decide to answer.