The Time Spent Together is Never Enough

On the drive back to Bangkok, Zon was in a mildly sulky mood as he stared out the window of the truck. The weekend had gone by far too fast, and he didn't want it to be over. He really wanted more time with Saifah — just one more day, or even just a few more hours. They had started packing up the campsite right after breakfast, and then had been busy with tasks until it was time to set off. NiNi had been hyper and talkative during the first half of the drive, but even once the twins finally quietened down after lunch and took to watching shows on their tablets, Zon still couldn't have quality time he wanted. As Saifah had to concentrate on driving since there was heavy traffic due to it being a public holiday, and Zon didn't want to distract him.

Turning onto his street, Zon felt his spirit drop. He was home already. Once he leaves the truck, he won't get to see Saifah again until later that week. He was kicking himself for being the one to suggest they take a few days to catch up on their work once they get back. Before they'd gone away he had only been thinking about needing to get his chapters done after having a three day break, but now he was regretting it. He looked over a Saifah as they pulled to a stop outside his gate. Should he cancel it and ask to meet after work tomorrow?

"Uncle Sai!" called out Niran from the back. "I need to pee!"

"We're almost home Niran," replied Saifah. "Just hold it for five minutes." He felt it would be rude to intrude into Zon's house just to use the toilet.

"I've been holding it, and I really can't anymore! I need to go now or I'm gonna wet myself!" cried Niran as he squirmed with discomfort on the backseat.

Saifah looked over at Zon apologetically. "Do you mind letting him use your toilet?"

Zon's eyes lit up as he nodded and hurriedly opened his door. "Why don't you all come in for a minute? It would seem less odd than me taking someone else's child into my house." He hoped his mother would be home. She might be able to turn a minute into an hour.

Once he'd seen Saifah move to get out the car, Zon rushed around the truck to let Niran out and hurried him inside. He smiled and shouted hello upon seeing his parents sitting in the living room as he rushed past leading the way to the toilet. Having escorted Niran safely to the bathroom, he went back to the hallway in time to see Nin with Saifah at the front door carrying all his bags being greeted by his mother. Just how quickly had she gotten up to be already waiting to greet them at the door?

"I'll take those!" said Zon as he rushed over to take his bags. "Thank you for bringing them in." After taking his bags he turned to his mom. "Mom, this is my boyfriend Saifah, and this is his niece Nin."

"I'm sorry for us intruding so suddenly, but my nephew desperately needed to use the toilet," Saifah quickly apologised.

"Oh please! Feel free to drop by anytime," replied Zon's mother as she looked Saifah up and down with a bright smile. "I've been wanting to meet you." She leant over and whispered into Zon's ear, "He's gorgeous!" She straightened back up and smiled sweetly at Nin. "You are so very pretty. How old are you?"

Zon was still blushing from his mom's comment when Niran came out from the bathroom. The child greeted the elder with respect and thanked her for letting him use the bathroom.

It was too sweet for his mother to handle. "Oh they are just so cute! Don't worry sweetie," she said to Niran. "It's always good to be honest when you need to go and not hold it in for too long. When Zon was young he used to drink far too much soda and try to hold it in rather than admitting he needed to go, and in the end he always we-"

"Mom!" snapped Zon restraining himself from covering her mouth to keep her quiet. "Too much information. No one needs to hear about that. Ever." His face was red from shame as he glanced over at Saifah.