What Could Have Been

"Why are you here?" asked Tutor with raised brows as Zon came and sat at the bar. "Not that I'm not happy to see you, I just thought after last night you wouldn't want to be anywhere near alcohol."

Zon slumped over the bar top, his head resting on his arms. "I couldn't write, and I wanted to talk to you."

"Speaking of writing, I saw your new novel is getting a lot of attention so I read it. I was surprised. What made you suddenly switch to writing romance?"

"Huh? Is it?" Zon sat up and pulled out his phone. He'd muted all notifications on his account because he didn't want to know about the lack of reads, or see the negative comments on his work. Opening his latest novel, he was shocked how many reads and likes it had gotten since his last update. It was already double the amount of views any of his other novels had, even though it was only four chapters in. He looked up at Tutor, "you actually read it?"

"Normally I wouldn't have, but when Zol asked me what had gotten into you suddenly, my curiosity was peaked. Although it's based in space, the genre is obviously romance which is unusual for you." Tutor propped his face in his hands as he leant over the bar to stare into Zon's eyes. "What sparked the change? Have you perhaps fallen for someone?" he asked with a smirk. "I couldn't help but notice the date the first chapter was uploaded."

Zon hated it when Tutor had already connected the dots, but still teased and urged him to say it himself. He sighed and lay his head down onto his folded arms. "Why are you asking if you already know?" he grumbled before letting out another sigh.

"Because assumption isn't truth. We all assumed you and Zen were in love with each other, but you were just close friends. So..." Tutor tapped his fingers together as he smirked. "Is it Saifah?"

Moving so his chin lay on his hands, Zon stared at the rows of bottles behind the bar. "Mmm. You know, I was really surprised the night he first played here. I couldn't believe Saifah actually remembered me. He even gave me a ride home."

"Seriously? Don't tell me you fell for him because he remembered you and gave you a ride?" asked Tutor with a raised brow. "Why is him remembering you even a surprise? I remember Saifah had a crush on you back... when was it?" He looked up in thought as he wiped a glass dry. "It was when everyone was really pushing the ZenZon agenda, so second year I guess. He'd even said he was considering asking you out, but I'd told him you were in love with Zen and not to bother."

The nonchalant way Tutor had spoken those words sparked anger within Zon. The impact of learning Saifah had actually liked him back in university was equal to being hit by a truck. But to top it off, his friend, his best friend had... he was mad.

"So... you are telling me while my supposed friends pressured and brainwashed me into thinking maybe I liked Zen as more than a friend," said Zon with anger in his tone. His narrowed eyes fixed on Tutor's unbothered expression. "Saifah, the guy I did like, and had a crush on for almost the full four years of university, you are telling me he actually liked me? But you... you told him I was in love with someone else?" He stood up and smacked his hands on the bar. "That's it! I'm cancelling our friendship!"

Tutor was taken aback by Zon's unexpected confession. He quickly took hold of Zon's arm to keep him from storming off. "Wait! Wait a minute Zon! Calm down. I'm sorry, okay? Don't get mad, it was a long time ago." He tried to soothe Zon's anger. "Honestly, I had no idea you liked Saifah back then. But... even if I had, I would have been against you two dating."

Zon who had been looking away snapped his head round to look at Tutor. "What? Why? I know he's out of my league, but why would you be against it? We're both your friends."