13. The Angel

I made my way out onto the street outside Samar's building. The rain was considerable, but Samar's coat was amazing. Not only was it stylish, but I was warm and dry almost all the way to my feet. It was a long coat, longer than something I would ever choose. The quality and comfort off this coat made me feel like taking a walk instead of going home. However, walks were not really practical these days thanks to the constant rain.

It was only a short walk over to my apartment building, so I pulled up the hood and set off. There was very little traffic on the road, which was slightly unusual for this time of day. It made me think that there was a bad storm coming. Usually, people stayed home more whenever the forecast was for extreme rain. I'd not seen any weather forecast recently, I tended to stay away from such things. It was normally depressing.

The dreams I'd had, for that's all they could be, were no more than flashes now, but I tried to focus on them. I didn't want to forget what happened, even though I now knew they were not real.

Thoughts of my recent conversation with Samar popped into my head and reminded me that I needed to call about my apartment. From my bag I took out my tablet while also looking for some respite from the rain. A nearby bus shelter proved to be the perfect place. I dialled the number for the autocops.

The call was answered almost immediately, "Citizen Twist. Thank you for calling. Your call is appreciated. You should have called before now, it is important you stay where you are. Your safety is important."

"My safety? What do you mean?" I said.

I started to think of Dead Guy, and his note. The note had read 'our safety is of utmost importance to us', the words were fixed in my head. My hand went straight to my pocket, where I found the crumpled ball of paper. The seat behind me in the bus shelter caught me as I staggered backwards. I pulled out the ball of paper and held it in my hand as I confined to talk to the autocop.

My mind was reeling and I started to doubt what was real, and dream again. on two occasions now, someone or something was trying to make sure I was safe. But why?

"Citizen Twist, please reveal your location," said the autocop on screen.

"What did you find in my apartment?" I asked. Other questions were vying for attention, but I wanted to avoid them for now.

"There were some fingerprints found of the gentleman who you saw expire before you last week," it said.

"You mean yesterday, don't you?" I said. It could not have been more than that, it had to have been yesterday. Where had four days gone? I recalled going round to Samar's only last night and he ordered beer and pizzas. I was not there for more than a night.

"No, Citizen Twist. The altercation with the deceased was four days ago. You have been missing since then," was the reply.

"Four days? Missing? That's not right," I was shouting, and people around me were looking at me with concern.

"Please. Your safety is a priority. Please reveal your location."

"I am on my way to work," I lied, and then I ended the call.

With my tablet back in my bag once more, I started to jog, then sprint, towards home. I needed to get there before the autocops, and leave before they arrive.

As I raced along the streets, people jumped out of my way. The rain splattered the parts of my face above my rebreather, each raindrop stung. I tried pulling the hood of my coat further out, and I dropped my chin as I ran to stop as much or the painful rain as I could.

My building was just across the street, but I had to stop. I saw two autocops walking towards the front door. I ducked into a doorway, out of view and watched. They walked straight pass the door and continued down the street. I don't think they saw me, or even if they were aware of my conversation a moment ago.