XVI. | SIXTEEN

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐏 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 to the barn where Lila had a knife in her hand, slightly lowered from Five who was talking to her

"She never cared about your parents. She was looking for you." He realized, breath clouding in front of him from the cold.

"Why?" Lila breathed out.

"'Cause you're one of us." Diego stepped in cautiously, everyone following in after him as Lila raised the knife back up. "The handler stole you, Lila. Just like our asshole father took all of us."

"No." She denied it, moving the knife to point at everyone around the room. "It's not the same thing."

"Because he didn't have our parents murdered. Listen to me, Lila." He continued. "You were born on october 1, 1989, the same day as all of us."

Lila balled her free hand up into a fist, her grip tightening on the knife as she shouted for everyone to stay back.

"Lila? Lila, stop." Diego tried while the other six surround her.

"I trusted you. I got you a job, I even introduced you to my mother and then you took off on me." She waved the weapon around, as if that would prove how hurt she truly was.

"Because I needed to save the world! She's using you, Lila. The handler."

"You're wrong. She raised me. She loves me."

"Yeah, you know what? Love shouldn't have to hurt this much." Luther tried, pursing his lips together as Lila made a gagging sound. "All right, I tried."

"He's right. We have to kill her." Y/n pulled on Fives jacket to prevent him from moving any closer.

"Stop. Let them handle this for another minute." She whispered, as if no one could hear her in the dead quiet barn.

"Hey, Lila, truth? She's dangerous." Diego continued, "And you're scared of what she'll do with all that new power. That's why you dragged me to the commission.

"Because I know what it's like to love dangerous people. Difference is.." He looked around the room. "They love me back."

Lila shook her head, lifting the sharp knife back up at him. "Shut up."

"The only thing she loves is power. The minute she can't use you, she will turn on you, and deep down, I know you know that."

"You don't know me, Diego." Lila touched the tip of the knife to his chest, tears collecting in her eyes.

"Don't I?" He asked and she stayed silent. "I know that we can be your family.. if you just let us."