xii. hey! love

"try no more, you're in love"

chill creeps through my light sweater as i walk back to our room, ice bucket in hand. the city's near-quiet. i look out across the terrace at the red and yellow lights in the darkness and the shifting street lamps that line the avenue. the wind blows. i shut my eyes; a stillness grabs me and shrouds.

being with you, having you on my mind, calms me. i breathe deeply and register myself before joining you in the room.

you're on the bed when i return, body facing me as you watch tv. you're cast in a watery, violet glow. you twist a lukewarm glass of wine in your hand as a groan slips from your mouth and you lower your head.

"you're okay?" i ask as i begin to scoop ice into your drink.

you shake your head and gesture to the television. "look who it is."

i'm surprised to see you doubled on the screen in tight jeans and a tiny blue blouse. it's the image i saw when we went to the premiere together and i sat in the theater with you, excited and itchy.

"you're a movie star," i'd told you in the back of the limousine. you'd shed your suit jacket. i'd let my fingers wander the lapels of your shirt before kissing your chest.

your image on the television prances across the stage. i look back at you and the light smile on your fallen expression; embarrassment is a strange shade on you. it hangs over your shoulders like a shirt too big.

i sit next to you on the bed and linger my hand near yours. 

"i love that robert," i tell you. "he's bold and full of love. he makes me happy. and i love this percy too, how he is when we're alone together. he's complex and kind. he makes me even happier because he's honest and original. he makes me laugh. i get the satisfaction that it's all for me." you give me your eyes and color blooms across your face. jonesy's keyboards ring softly behind us. "you're so much in so many ways."

you glean me for a moment before folding and laughing. "how do you know me like this? you always see me."

"it's because i love you," i answer immediately. before you can say anything back, i grab the wine bottle from the nightstand and pour you more. "let's get drunk. we have a lot to celebrate."

"like what?" you sip and watch me rise from the bed to turn the volume on the tv down.

"we're all alone with each other finally. i haven't had you in what feels like forever." it's my way of making up for the time i missed while you were on tour. or the pain i missed healing when you were in greece. i wipe the thought away. excitement replaces it and i climb on the bed. you roll over on your back and hold out your hands. "the way you look. . ." i whisper. 

"the way you look. come closer." 

i giggle in my sweater and jeans. i lean into your body, hand at your torso, where you're substantial and mine. loving you brings me peace: a star-filled sky and the dappled wash of sunlight across my skin. you kiss me and i know i love you in all habits and all forms. 

( for the very, very wonderful louderthanIove )