xviii. heart of gold

"i've been a miner for a heart of gold"

the party's over. everyone's left, their bottles and glitter and scent remaining, and our hotel room gives a great sigh.

our discarded clothes leave a path to the bathroom where we sit facing each other in the tub.

your hair is loose and straight from the water; a drop loops your cheek and falls from your jaw.

"you're full?" i ask you.

"very. a little drunk, too, but you know that already."

i giggle, equally sugared and silly on the white wine jonesy brought us.

your reach across our knees, four neighboring islands in soapy water, and brush my hand with your index finger. "thank you for the meal . . . did you eat enough?"

"yes." the aroma of paprika sits on my lips. i daub my thumb across the skin and taste the flavor that comes back.

you're watching me with intensity, a boiling, hot presence that only comes with love savored over time.

"what are you thinking about?" your hand falls; the water gives a small splash.

i turn back to the night, the european tour inching along ahead of us. tonight, we've stopped in paris. jimmy slid up to the microphone as the crowd roared for an encore, his french careful and soft, and launched into a chorus of 'happy birthday.' "this evening, when everyone was singing to you, it made me realize they love you."

you let me have your grin, the one that turns me supple like warm butter. "but to me, it only matters what you think."

"i know," i say, and move towards you. i didn't talk to have your compliments, but you gave them to me as gifts. i touch your face to memorize the texture of your wet skin, the body i washed clean after our party, rinsing confetti from your arms, working stress from your back. "you're something else, something i can't describe."

you glow and open yourself to me. i press into your arms with amber-colored joy. the soap you use, sandalwood and coconut, is the wafting mist i crave. i taste your kisses and i'm steamed through, happy to hold you and be with you as your birthday ends and today turns to tomorrow.

( i will probably rewrite this, but happy birthday to robert!! i want to credit shahdg and MarieAetheling for the wonderful ideas i've used here)