Chapter 16

Chapter 16
____________

"Up, down, left, right!" a voice in the distance rang out.

"Again. Up down left, right!" one of the chiefs shouted to the troops of soldiers as they wielded their swords in expertise accordingly. Their uniforms stood out brightly in contrast among the dull grey walls of the castle, paint upon a blank canvas. A sea of red and blue rose up and back down like waves.

Out of nowhere, wind waltzed in with its cold glare, clouds huddled together and intimidated the sun into hiding behind them. Every being in the castle stilled for a moment, not expecting the sudden change in weather. Fingers strummed over the edge of the stone window, a slow smirk spreading over the man's face.

"Even the weather welcomes me," he murmured, his spine-chilling voice sending tremors up the castle walls. 

Turning back to the training scene, he said, "If this is just an everyday practice, she has a lot to lose!" He chuckled, voice deeper than a canyon. "And she will, without a doubt. This will be no more than a lift of the finger, an entertaining show to watch."

A female voice spoke, "But you must not underestimate her, she might have access to the chamber with tons of treasu-"

"The chamber will provide nothing for her!" his powerful voice cut over the woman's. "She has no clue about it, her father died before he could share the secret with her. Even if she does find it, she will not be able to use any of the wealth. 

"No kingdom would dare to even look her way. If they do, they know the consequences of my wrath. Even if they do join her, they're fools, all of them! They are all doomed."

A moment of shudder-worthy silence reigned before her voice parted the curtains of silence, "Very well, Maharaja. But how will we get our hands on the treasure?"

"We bring down the palace."

She faltered in her step. "P-pardon, your highness?"

"You heard right, Rajkumari. We bring down the castle walls wherever it could possibly be hidden. We'll leave the foundation intact, we need a palace there after all for a monarch to rule over. Any valuable decorations studded on the walls will remain as it is."

"But Maharaja, I thought it would be me ruling over?" she questioned hesitantly, confused by his words. Is he bailing out on me?

"It will don't worry. I want to ensure the palace is not hiding any surprises or tragedies for the next ruler," he assured her, with other motives in mind. 

He spewed lies to her face - well, maybe to the air since he wasn't facing her -  with such smoothness that his puppet would have no further suspicions.

"I have given you my word. And you know how valuable an emperor-to-be's word means. Don't you?"

"Yes, Maharaja. I have no doubt that you will live up to it. Pranam." She agreed and left quietly.

He stroked his mustache. "You should know by now that I'm no ordinary emperor-to-be. You should know what my word means, yet you decided to fall into my trap. Suit yourself." His dark smile reappeared in a flash, his menacing chuckles vibrating throughout the walls.

* * *

"How are you holding up?" she asked, her smile smug. He silently glared at her.

"Oh move on, you can't still be upset about the fact that I deserted a being such as you, can you? I mean, it's not my fault that you are so gullible," she threw up her hands and shrugged.