Chapter 20

Chapter 20
___________

"No, my lady," the maid shook her head. "It just isn't happening. Please work your magic."

Suruchi put away the scroll in her hand and sighed. "I'll be there."

A short while later, her shadowy form spawned at a doorway. Her steps were leaves floating atop an undisturbed lake. Her skillful hands lifted a copper jug from the table into the air. She shook her head slowly. This had to be done. Suruchi swiftly turned the jug upside down letting the ice-cold water slam into the sleeping figure.

The maid at the doorway let out an audible gasp at the nerve of her, slapping a hand over her mouth. She felt her throat move as a nervous lump traveled down her throat and quickly left the scene. The figure let out a sharp yelp at the impact of the coldness of the water. The once sleeping figure now was up drenched in water from head to torso.

She fearfully met the eyes of the princess, water dripping from her black locks into her flaming eyes and dripping all over her physique. She was breathing heavily, partly from the short period of suffocation from the water and the other part because she was enraged. She raised a threatening finger towards her guiltily smiling sister. "You... you will-"

"I will?" Suruchi prompted, almost in a whisper.

To her surprise, the princess's face broke out into a smile. Wait, was she seeing that right? Is it truly a smile?

"Not bear the brunt of my anger."

"I won't?" her brows drew together in confusion, but relaxed again in relief.

She shook her head. "Nor will you have to suffer my silent treatment."

"Aha! So you admit that you give silent treatments! On silver platters, no less."

The monarch narrowed her eyes. "Would you rather I give it to you now?"

"No!" she answered quickly. That was for the best. Trust me, no one would want to get on the wrong side of the princess- er, queen. You'd get such infuriating ignorance from her that you'd go mad! She shuddered at the thought.

"Good," she smiled. "I have something to tell you, something exciting!"

"Pray tell me the reason behind your hyper-active-good mood?" her sarcastic reply was further emphasized by the dramatic roll of her eyes and crossing of her arms.

Revati sent a disapproving frown her way but continued anyway, "This is highly confidential and probably beneficial too. Listen closely-"

"Your highness!" a female voice interrupted them. She bent her head sideways to see who it was. A maidservant.

Revati managed a polite smile. "Yes?"

"Good morning your highness, would you like breakfast in bed?"

"Suprabhātham to you too, and no."

"Oh,"

"Yes, and now would you please go away?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"So, Suruchi, back to the topic-"

"Your highness, shall I get some new set of clothes for you to change out of?" Another maid?

"Not now!" she almost barked out, turning to Suruchi. "What I wanted to tell you is that I've-"

"My queen!" Ugh! yet another one!

"Yes?" Revati questioned the maid, her patience wearing thin. The polite smile on her face was now strained and tight.

"Your majesty, Uh... Prince Dipankar has requested to meet you at lunch today."