Chapter 8

-Bucky POV-

Everything is happening in slow motion. The bright lights blur around me, the bodies of strangers dancing with each other crash into me. The music is blaring, and the vibrant colours of everyone and everything turn into a blur of joy. And then she's there. I see her, standing across from me. Her smile lights up not only the room, but my heart. Her hair cascades down her back in its most natural form, her clothes clinging to every inch of her skin. She walks towards me and wraps her arms around my waist. Suddenly, all I feel is light. The world has been lifted off of my shoulder. I'm not longer who I was, only who I want to be. For her.

-y/n pov- (aye this happens at the same time as Bucky okay)

Bright lights. Cold walls. Hard floors. An empty room.
"Worthless!" They scream.
"Never going to be good enough!"
"You're going to die out there!"
"Focus!"
*slap*
A cold hand meets my face. I can't do anything about it except choke back tears.
"You're nothing to us." She says. "All you could ever do for us is get one of our own killed. Again."
The fight begins. I'm knocked off my feet again, beaten senseless.
"Stop it! You'll kill her!" Natasha yells.
"Good."
The hits get harder.

-Buckys pov (again)-

I wake up to see her laying on the bed. It was just a dream. She still looks as perfect as ever, peacefully asleep. I notice her brow is furrowed and she looks like she's sweating, even though it's cold out. I sit myself up to see her better, and I see her arm twitching.

"No....stop..." she mumbles. "Please...I'll do better... please... it hurts..." That's when I realise maybe she isn't so peaceful. I get myself up off of the camp bed next to the real bed, and lay beside her.

"Hey, hey y/n." I carefully wrap an arm over her shoulder. "Hey, it's okay." She jolts upright, gasping for air.

"Hey, it's okay, I'm here." I say, hugging her. I feel her sob into my chest and my heart breaks for her. "It's okay. It was just a dream."

"It wasn't just a dream. Every night I'm haunted of what I was." She stutters into my chest.

"It doesn't matter who you once were. Don't let that define who you become, doll. You're someone who everyone is so proud of, who everyone loves, cherishes and respects to the highest degree." I say. "I mean look at me. I was a brainwashed psycho sent to kill a whole lot of people, even your husband at one point, and now I'm in a safe house with his wife. Talk about character development." She giggles, which makes my heart flutter.

"Since when did you become a motivational speaker?" She asked, sitting up to look at me. I wiped the tears from under her eyes.

"I'm not sure." I smile back. "I'm a changed man."

"Bucky. What were you dreaming of?" She asks me.

"Just... you know... your wedding! It was a fun night." I smile at her. She giggles back.

"You've aged well Buck. But you're still a terrible liar." I take a deep breath.

"I was dreaming of you." I smile at her. Her look tells me that she didn't want to hear that, but deep down she did.

"Was it good?" She asked.

"Of course it was. All my brightest dreams are about you." I look at her. She smiles at me.

"You're a great guy Buck. Thank you, for everything."

"My pleasure doll." I smile back. "Get some rest." I give her a quick hug before standing up off of the bed to return to my own.

"Hey Buck?" She calls after me. I turn back to look at her. "Can you stay? With me? I mean, if that's okay? I just think, maybe I won't have such bad dreams, but if you don't want to-"

"Of course." I cut her off, crawling into bed next to her. She smells so divine.

"Goodnight Buck." She murmurs.

"Night y/n." I reply with a small sigh. So close but so far away.