CHAPTER 34

S C A R L E T T    M I L E S    D W A S O N

I want to scream. I want to cry. But at this moment all I could feel was nothing. I felt cold, I wanted to feel something rather than this emptiness. This nothingness is more painful than feeling the pain. The voice is still echoing in my fucking head.

"They got into a car accident and both are in critical condition."

Dahan-dahan akong napaluhod sa sahig at sunod-sunod na nagbagsakan ang luha ko. I'm feeling more numb, trapped in the suffocating grip of relentless pain. Each passing moment brings waves of agony that crash against my fragile resolve, leaving behind an overwhelming sense of emptiness. The pain, like an uninvited guest, has made itself at home within my body, its presence draining the color from my world. Every movement, every breath, serves as a stark reminder of the relentless torment I endures. As my body cries out in silent anguish, my spirit retreats into a desolate state of numbness, seeking solace from the relentless onslaught.

In the depths of despair, agony consumes every fiber of my being, tormenting my body and soul in a relentless symphony of suffering. Every heartbeat echoed with a throbbing ache that resonated throughout my entire body, a relentless drumming of torment

The news hit me like a tidal wave, crashing into the shores of my consciousness, leaving devastation in my wake. I stay still frozen, unable to process the reality that my parents had been involved in a car accident.

The words still reverberated in my mind, but my heart refused to accept the harsh truth. A mixture of disbelief, shock, and denial consumed me, as if a dark cloud had descended upon my world, blotting out any semblance of normalcy. Thoughts raced through my mind, desperately seeking refuge in denial, grasping at any thread of hope that this was all just a cruel mistake.

How could it be?

The weight of the truth bore down upon me, shattering my illusion of safety, leaving me adrift in a sea of inconsolable grief. The pain of acceptance seemed unbearable, an abyss I was not ready to plunge into, for it meant confronting a reality where my world would never be so steady.

I had been lost in the labyrinth of my thoughts, consumed by a whirlwind of emotions, when a sudden piercing ring jolted me back to the present moment. Startled, I snapped out of my reverie and reached for my phone, the sound cutting through the heavy silence that had enveloped me. With trembling hands, I answered the call, my heart racing with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation.

I bit my lower lip when all I could hear on the other line was my brother's sobs. "Scarlett," His voice cracked. "Mom…" I shut my eyes when I heard that, preparing myself for what I will hear next. "... she's dead on arrival—"

Without a moment's hesitation, I released my grip on the phone, allowing it to plummet to the floor as I propelled myself forward. Adrenaline surged through my veins, lending wings to my feet as I sprinted out of my penthouse, driven by an urgency that eclipsed all rational thought. Time seemed to compress, my surroundings blurring into a chaotic blur as I descended the elevator, my heart pounding with a desperate rhythm.

Unlocking my car with trembling hands, I flung myself into the driver's seat, the engine roaring to life in response to my desperation. With a screech of tires, I tore out of the parking lot, the world outside reduced to a blur of lights and shadows. The distance to the hospital seemed interminable, but my determination burned fiercely, fueling my relentless pursuit of hope.